Does anyone have heavy periods?

By October 28, 2009 - 11:01am

I'm 47 and for about year, I've been getting heavier periods. I thought it was age-related and didn't give it much thought. This summer, I went to a new gyn this past summer and he found a polyp. I had a D&C done in late August. I've had my period twice since then and my periods have been even heavier than before. Fortunately, the heavy days (and they are bad!) only last for about 3 days. Now my doctor wants to do an ablation. Any thoughts?

Hi Mayday

Thanks so much for your post.

You may be entering into menopause at this time, which means you'll stop getting your period eventually but in the interim, your periods may be heavy (heavier than usual) or with clotting, before they lessen and ultimately stop.

With regard to an ablation - we have a thread that is very busy and full of the real life experiences, questions, answers and advice from people who have done it. I think you should read through it for a bird's eye view into the procedure.

Tell me what you think about this thread and also head to our detailed menopause page here : http://www.empowher.com/condition/menopause

Has your doctor indicated why he/she thinks your period has changed so much?