Does anyone have a list of LOW POTASSIUM FOODS ? I have to lower my potassium, due to kidney disease.

I am a diabetic lady, just 70 years young! Very fit, but have now learned that I have (mild) kidney disease which manifests itself in too high a potassium content, which I must lower through diet, exercise and ?????
Any help will be gratefully received.

Hello, I found the same list of foods as "Anonymous" and it's very useful. Then, I was curious about regular Coke and Gatorade - I am not (yet) diabetic). I just Googled "How much potassium is in Coca Cola?" - and you would be amazed at what came up at the top of the list. They cover all beverages - diet and regular drinks by brand name. I have stage III CKD with proteinuria, moderate, and my potassium level skyrocketed this month. The doctor said to cut out all dairy because I am a cheese, cottage cheese and yogurt freak - hope knowing this will be helpful to you.
I'll have new blood work done tomorrow in preparation for my first kidney biopsy. I wish you the best.

Hi Joyce - I did some research on potassium levels in food, and found that I too got a bit "lost" in various websites. It's not a matter of age, it's how the information is presented, so don't feel bad about your efforts. :-)

I found a chart on potassium levels in multiple foods that I thought would interest you: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/potassium-rich-foods-chart.html

There were also multiple articles warning about soft drinks being high in potassium. This one provides a list of "high" and "low" potassium soft drinks:

I hope this is helpful, and best wishes to you. Pat

I am also 70, female, diabetic & now doctor's blood test showed potassium level at 5.9. Have begun to search to modify my diet, which has mainly been to keep the diabetic condition under control. I did do some searching on the kidney site & googled some others & have begun my list. I found the kidney site hard to get around in to find what I needed. My questions: does anyone know about potassium level of diet cherry Pepsi & diet cherry Coke? How about sugar free honey? What about Sweet & Low & other sugar substitutes? I have many questions, but will hope someone will be kind enough to help. I sometimes get "lost" in clicking within websites. Thanks for any help given. Joyce

As a general rule with kidney disease especially kidney failure you need to avoid pretty much all soft drinks, sodas, fruit juices, colas, gatorade, v8, pepsi and coca-cola products are high in potassium or very hard for a non-healthy kidney to process. Dark sodas are especially bad. So you need to switch to Tea (something like Leptin tea is a way better choice if you don't like water.) Certain kinds of crystal light and most powdered juices like Kool-Aid, Capri-Sun, and fruit punch are fine and have zero potassium but don't drink tons of it if you have to watch sodium. The absolute best thing for your kidney(s) is to drink water as it helps flush your system if you can urinate. But at end stage renal(kidney) failure you normally cant get rid of fluids unless you're on dialysis or have your other kidney working fine. But if you can urinate drinking lots of water is called "poor mans dialysis or natures dialysis" and is the best thing for your body

Yes, I do...my husband....he had knee surgery and he has a walking program, so I figured that I could go along. We are both retired and spend most of our time together anyway....almost 40 years...we are also birdwatchers so we get outside and hike at least once a week, but the other we can do in between...just inside, because of the weather...not too much fun outside this time of year.

Good luck on your mall walking and tackling the cholesterol. Do you have a walk buddy?

Well, I went to my doctor and he has altered my meds. My potassium levels have been reduced. I now have to tackle the cholesterol levels. My LDL is 111, he wants it to be below 100, changed meds for that. My blood sugar is within normal range, so he is changing those meds also. All in all I am doing pretty good,I just need to get some more exercise. This cold weather makes me want to hibernate. I am going to become a mall walker. I don't want to join a gym, costs too much and have to travel too far. thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry and will keep you posted after I go to my next appointment on 3/18

Low potassium foods
1 serving of the following can be considered to be low potassium food. 1 serving implies ½ cup. More than 1 serving of the following can make it high potassium food.

General foods

* Bread (bread products)
* Cake – angel, yellow
* Coffee ( maximum 8 ounces)
* Cookies (without nuts or chocolate)
* Noodles
* Pasta
* Pies (without chocolate or high-potassium foods)
* Rice
* Tea (maximum 16 ounces)

* Alfalfa sprouts
* Asparagus – 6 spears
* Beans (wax or green)
* Cabbage (red and green)
* Canned Chestnuts
* Carrots (cooked)
* Celery (1 stalk)
* Corn (Fresh - ½ ear, Frozen - ½ cup)
* Cucumber
* Eggplant
* Fresh mushrooms
* Green Peas
* Kale
* Leached potatoes
* Lettuce
* Mixed vegetables
* Okra
* Onions
* Parsley
* Peppers
* Radish
* Rhubarb
* Water
* Watercress

* Apple – 1 medium/juice/sauce
* Apricots, canned in juice
* Blackberries
* Blueberries
* Cherries
* Cranberries
* Fruit cocktail
* Grapes (juice)
* Grapefruit, ½ whole
* Mandarin oranges
* Peaches – Fresh (1 small), Canned (½ cup)
* Pears – Fresh (1 small), Canned (½ cup)
* Pineapple (juice)
* Plums – 1 whole
* Raspberries
* Strawberries
* Tangerine – 1 whole
* Watermelon – 1 cup

Thank you - very much - for your lengthy and helpful list above, as well as to all of you who responded to my Potassium question. I guess I am improving my awareness of controling the Potassium - my last blood tests revealed "Normal Potassium" levels; now - to keep it up, along with all the other challenges of health, as one continues to try to stay a "Young 71!"

Thanks for sharing. I am surprised that doctors don't offer more resources and direction on the "real life" information that we need, once diagnosed with a condition or disease. We are probably told about our symptoms and some (not all) treatment options, but not about how to actually LIVE with our diagnosis...day-to-day: eating, sleeping, physical activity, emotional well-being, etc.

Good for you for seeking more information, and being "armed" with it, before going to the doctor's office. We would love for you to write back and tell us how the doctor's office went. Plus, if you could tell us about "mild kidney disease": what is it, what are the symptoms, causes (if known), treatment options, how are you feeling about it, etc.

Thanks again for sharing!