Bones & Joints

Bones & Joints Guide

ask: Does anyone have suggestions for Calcium Supplements?

By Shana O'Connor Guide Blogger

I am "lactose unfriendly" and consume very little calcium as a result. I have a high risk of osteoporosis in my family and am becoming more concerned about my bone density. I would like to start taking supplements to lower my risk. Does anyone have some good recommendations? Thank you!

alysiak

Besides the foods on that great list, I personally take Viactiv calcium chews. If there's an easy way to take vitamins and supplements, I try to find it, or bear the wrath of my doctor, LOL!

Anonymous

Other then milk & dairy products there are several other types of non-dairy sources of calcium that you can opt for to ensure you are getting enough daily calcium. Many things are far better, actually than dairy products anyhow. You are best to get your calcium from foods rather than supplements as the body often has a hard time absorbing supplements.The soft bones of fish such as sardines, pilchards and tinned salmon, provide us with valuable calcium. Other useful sources include Soy bean products, such as tofu, as well as sesame seeds, nuts, some breads, dried fruit, pulses and green leafy vegetables. Okra and curly kale are also rich vegetable sources of calcium. Soy milk alternatives, bottled water, breakfast cereals and orange juice are also fortified with extra calcium.

Here is presented a chart indicating good sources of calcium:

Food Amount Calcium (In mg)
Yogurt, plain, low fat 8 oz 415
Skim milk 1 cup 306
Spinach, frozen, Boiled 1 cup 291
Yogurt,plain,whole milk 8 oz 275
Cheese food, pasteurized American 1 oz 162
Cottage cheese,1% milk fat 1 cup 138
Baked beans, canned 1 cup 154
Oranges 1 cup 72
Trail mix (nuts, seeds, chocolate chips) 1 cup 159
Almonds 1 oz (24 nuts) 70
Black eye peas, boiled 1 cup 211
Green peas, boiled 1 cup 94

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :