Does anyone know about nephroptosis and treatment after 2 failed surgeries? Kidney continues to fall after surgery.

By December 14, 2009 - 5:14am

I have right nephroptosis, first surgery in 2003 worked great, but kidney fell again in 08, surgery again, kidney fell again 6 months later, now the doctors dont know what to do. Have right flank pain 24/7 and am on fentanyl patch. There don't seem to be any good options and it is difficult to find a urologist who has actually dealt with this condition.

I went undiagnosed for 7 Years... with my life Crumbling around me. It was nothing short of a Miracle that I stumbled upon another message board listing my Exact Symptoms and the Surgeon who Performed the Surgery with Success! Less than a month later I was in the Austin TX Operating Room (900 miles away from home) and I'm now 4 months Post Op WITH MY LIFE BACK!!!

Anonymous (reply to ac14)

Please tell me who your doctor in Austin is. I am suffering and the doctors in my city had never heard of this before and the pain meds don't touch it except for the strongest opiate and that sends me into hypoxia

Has anyone donated their Mobil kidney? I am in the process of doing that.

I thought and spoke about it, but my doctor didn't want to do this.

This condition is more common in slim people. Some weight gain can help but not always.
Unfortunatelly, not every urologyst or kidney specialist knows how to treat it...
I am orginally from Russia and nephroptosis is well known there...doctors are pretty good at diagnostic and treating this condition, however, many doctors in Nirth America don't know too much about this condition...i guess it is easier to ignore when you can't treat it. I find it a shame in north american health system but that is what it is.

I am going back to Russia this year to fix my problem there. Have been living with this condition for many years now and it doesn't get better.
Having a pelvic and back pain, weakness, my weight is lower than it should be...

My surgery is set for 10/24 my kidney apparently drops three inches when I stand and then folds over into my abdomen. It will be performed laparoscopic so hopefully not too much down time

Hello, I have a moving right kidney as well. It drops about 8 cm when I stand or sit.
There is an operantion on the way and my question is: what is the better option, open surgery of labaroscopic surgery? I know open surgery has longer recoverytime, but is the method better so the change that the kidney will hold to its position might be higher?
I hope anyone has some experience with this?
The docters say all differents things to me :/
Thanks a lot from Holland.

I just had an open surgery in december 2011- and I hope the kideny will stay in place :-O! My main problems have been weakness, postural high pulse and hypertension (really high numbers, but relatively painless)

Anonymous (reply to bentebente)

Hi Bente
I like you have a floating kidney that doesn´t cause me that much pain but rather high pulse(when standig or sitting too long), dizziness when walking, nausea and tiredness. Did you experience any more of your symptoms after surgery? I live in Denmark and they don´t have much experience with the condition here(not at my hospital at least). I went for a consultation today and the urologist had never seen a patient with this condition before. She even said that she didn´t believe that a floating kindney could cause the kinds of symptoms that I have! I´ve read on several forums now and it seems that others have the same kinds of symptoms allthougt the main symptom seems to be pain. I do have some pain but I´m more bothered by the high puls and dizziness. I just want to know if the surgery makes those symptoms go away? Please let me know how you feel 1 1/2 years after the surgery.

(reply to Anonymous)

My symtoms have decreased considerably after sugery. You should have a renography (Nuclear medicine) to invstigate the functional disturbances of your kidney. Before surgery I did this lying Down, and standing. The function of the right kidney deceased 40% compard to the left when stading. Postoperative rengraphy: my right kidney has better function than the left kidney...I had my surgery in Norway. I know they have done more than 10 more patients at myhospital after my surgery.

Nephrotic Syndrome

Nephrotic Syndrome Guide