Does anyone know if BCBS will pay for a vaginal delivery after you've had one c-section? I was told insurance companies was no l

By July 13, 2008 - 11:59am

Hi and welcome for Empowher -thanks for your question!

As Alison said, it's all to do with your particular insurance plan, as well as your doctor's policy.

Generally, many insurance companies are fine with approving a VBAC when only one c-section has been done on the patient previously. Many doctors are fine with it too.

Call your insurance company - their customer care line will be on the back of your insurance card, or even on the front, near their logo.

However, please bear in mind that if you have another c-section and want more children, most insurance companies and doctors will not cover or accept a VBAC attempt with the third baby, when all previous babies are c-sections.

Let us know how you get on! Congrats on your pregnancy!

There are so many different insurance companies, and even more insurance plans, it would be difficult for any of us to say a definitive "yes" or "no" that BCBS would pay in your specific case.

Have you tried to contact them? I've been able to find a great deal of information about my insurance plan online. I've also talked with a representative over the phone a few times, and they were quick, nice and helpful!

I'm wondering if the insurance paying has more to do with the hospital and doctor, rather than a pre-determined insurance protocol?

As you know, the risk with a VBAC is the cesarean scar tearing during vaginal delivery; this risk is very low, especially with just one cesarean. This risk is why VBAC is only offered by hospitals that can do a rapid emergency C-section. Does your hospital or team of doctors offer a "rapid emergency C-section", if needed?

Let us know what you find out!

And....a belated congratulations on your second child! How exciting! How old is your little boy, soon-to-be big brother? :-)

I am a mother of a little boy and am expecting my second child. I am wanting to deliver without having a c-section this time. Hopefully I will be granted this, but not sure.