ask: Does anyone know of a natural treatment/relief for degenerative disc disease?

Short of surgery, is there anything you can do for degenerative disc disease? Has anyone noticed improvement through stretching or exercise? Diet, any supplements? Surgery is an absolute last resort. Thanks.

Anonymous

I recently discovered that I can use Yucca Stalk when my DDD pain flares. Interestingly, it also seems to help with the allergy (whatever it is) that causes my eye to water/get floaters. I use Nature's Way only because it's the highest dose I could find (1 g). I take two capsules at two meals each day. It stops the pain in a way other things simply have not been able to do for me. When there is a burning sensation in the middle of my spine for instance, I can stop it with just this for the entire day. And I sleep so much better with less pain. It seems the saponins in Yucca Stalk and the resveratrol in it as well are powerful anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories for joints. (They bind inflammatory chemicals called cytokines in the blood.)
I've been researching DDD because I have two MTHFR gene mutations, which are causing serious inflammation in my body and the more rapid break down of my body than other people. My doc says my spine is more like someone 20 years older than I am. My heart’s not doing much better. And all of this accelerated when I entered peri-menopause. And my two mutations make this worse for me than those who have only one mutation. I had my first disc rupture at 20. I was 110 pounds of lean muscle and an athlete who took great care to minimize joint impact given my family’s experience with joint issues.
I decided that since the other issues I suffer with (fibromyalgia, chemical sensitivity, severe sleep apnea and its related endothelial (vascular lining) dysfunction, very easy bruising/spider veins, migraines, brain fog/cognitive declines, etc) are related to inflammation issues and my inability to effectively methylate (read: activate or make bioavailable) folic acid, that perhaps DDD was also related to these two issues.
From what I've been able to derive from the research, it is indeed related to the body's inability to repair itself effectively---MTHFR gene mutations cause this among other things and the number of people with them is growing in leaps and bounds. The buildup of cytokines causes inflammation which is responsible in large part for causing the accelerated break down of the body. But apparently the inflammatory markers (cytokines) are bound by the saponins in Yucca stalk so that they cannot do their damage. All I know for sure is that it works like nothing else works. And even the radiculopathy (radiating/burning pain in my arm/hand due to another disc degenerating) stops when I use it.
I found Dr. Ben Lynch when I was researching MTHFR gene mutations and he suggested that since I have two mutations it was very important to control the inflammation before I start taking the already methylated (activated) form of folic acid and B12---called methyl-folate & methyl-cobalamin---or I could make matters worse instead of better.
So here’s what I’m going to do. I’m going to keep taking the Yucca Stalk since it seems to be dampening all of my inflammatory responses (muscle pain, joint pain, allergies, etc). I’m going to start drinking a 4 oz glass a day of George’s aloe Juice for my gut inflammation and after a few weeks I’m going to start very slowly introducing the methyl-folate at 400 mg a day and methyl cobalamin 5 mcg a day by taking it ever 3 days for a week, then every other day for a week and so on until I can tolerate it without causing any issues.
By doing this, I hope to quench the inflammation enough to stop the pain and further damage with the yucca/aloe juice and then begin the attempt to repair the cartilage with the methylated B vitamins (and glucosamine chondroitin w/MSM) along with pharm grade multi that has no folic acid. (Taking folic acid when you have one or two of these mutations is a very bad idea. Your body treats them like toxins and makes you sicker because it can’t convert it. I also avoid it in foods for the same reason.)
Anyway, it’s taken me a few years and a great deal of research to come to this. I’m not a doctor though so please consider that as well. Be well.

Anonymous

Yes There is an alternative therapy for completely curing Degenerative Disc Disease, However you will have to be fully committed and stick to the program and protocols if you would like to a full recovery, Look at the following website for reasons why it is that you have this and how to fully and completely cure it, http://www.biblelife.org/back.htm

Good Luck
Dale Martin

Anonymous

I think there is no option to get total relief from Disc Degeneration Treatment except surgery. Surgery can also help you to some extent not in full. For more information you can visit - http://www.samedayspineinstitute.com/conditions/disc-degeneration

Anonymous

my name is ikechukwu oparaugo, i am from nigeria it's just unfortunate we dont have good chiropractors here in my country but if theirs any one within the country or even around the west african countries i will be happy to to visit that person. i am really tuched by what people are saying about you it is mind blowing. i wil say keep it up and continue with work

peteyjr

As a practicing clinician for 24 years as a PT and osteopath I can vouch for exercise therapy, Manipulative/mobilizations and movement type therapies. I have seen good results with aquatic therapy (particularly neuroinhibitory types such as Watsu etc) . One of the more current approaches for DDD invloves change of dietary lifestyle. No single supplement can cure or fix DDD but a commited program to reduce inflammation and acidity can go a long ways in helping the body change to a more favorable regenerative mode. I have seen impressive improvement in highly degenerative individuals after 6-8 months of following a low meat, gluten free, grain free, dairy free diet . Dr Robert Morse ND is an advocate of a fruitairan lifestyle . I have adopted his thinking with excellent results. The key is in moving the lymph , cleaning the colon (Often directly tied to joint health) and improving the four aspects of nutrition - Digestion, absorption, utilization and elimination. Ultimately a highly alkaline diet with at least 80% raw foods can go a long ways in helping reverse chronic inflamation and tisssue degradation .

Anonymous

I was in a car accident and started to feel the effects of DDD. I wanted to know everything about my condition so I started studying everything I could. I did change my diet and exercize habits and to my surprise, it started feeling better!! it's not all the way gone, but I do feel a lot better. Currently I am taking fish oil. flax-seed, wheat germ and vitamin D and calcium. Not sure why but it is working!!

Denny Lou

I was just very recently diagnosed with this & my doctor is recommending that I try the Feldenkrais Method of neuromuscular reeducation. I'm hoping to start next week. Will know more about what they do after this. He said he went to them twice a week for about 10 weeks & it helped his back problems dramatically. Instead of just covering up the pain, I think you are re-training your muscles to possibly correct some of the problem.

Alison Beaver (reply to Denny Lou)

Denny Lou,
Thanks for sharing your story, and we would love to hear back from you in 10 weeks (or earlier, throughout your process), so that we can learn more about your experiences with this method.

Best wishes, and hope to hear back from you!

Anonymous

I love my chiropractor and would recommend regular chiropractic care! There are almost always side effects to surgeries, prescriptions, injections, and all that medical stuff. Think NATURAL as you already seem to be doing - yay ;)

Degenerative disc disease is not actually a disease, but rather a condition in which your discs degenerate or lose their flexibility and ability to cushion your spine. With regular chiropractic care, you can keep your spine healthy and that includes your nervous system which controls all other systems in your body. You can't reverse the degenerative damage you have experienced, but you can prevent it from becoming worse. I think if everyone was under chiropractic care since they were a baby, we would all feel so much better. Thankfully, I was one of the lucky ones and was adjusted since birth :)

Chiropractic adjustments return the joints to more normal motion and remove any nervous system interference. Good joint motion is essential for the health and nutrition of the discs and joints because it permits the exchange of nutrients, fluids, and waste. Good motion also helps reduce pain, muscle spasms or imbalance, and improves nervous system function and overall health. Without movement, discs and joints may degenerate more quickly than normal.

Best wishes! I hope you are under chiropractic care :)

alysiak

A good friend of mine was in a serious car accident and suffered spinal injury. For the past few years, he has undergone prolotherapy with excellent results. I have rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and mild scoliosis, and have been considering prolotherapy.

It's great to see that you've mentioned this alternative to back surgery. My orthopedic surgeon is also in favor of non-surgical alternatives, thank goodness!

Degenerative Disc Disease