Skin, Hair & Nails

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

ask: Does biotin (hair, skin, nails) pill actually work?

By Jenny Housh HERWriter

I've been taking biotin (5000mg) for sometime now and it doesn't seem to be doing much.

Am I not taking enough dosage? Is there any research to prove this vitamin actually works?

Hi Jenny!

Thanks for this post! 

The problem with supplements is that one study will show they are worth it, and a new 2014 study said they do nothing at all. What's a person to think?

Here's two sides to that story:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/16/health/multivitamins-studies/

and read some disturbing news on antioxidants here: 

http://www.empowher.com/cancer/content/antioxidants-may-be-dangerous-say...

I took Biotin for a year last year and honestly didn't really notice anything with my nails or hair. In fact, the sun is what makes my nails great! 

But you see biotin added to many hair and nail products these days. 

The bottom line is that it won't hurt you to take the supplement.  I still take vitamins on occasion but not as often as I used to.  

One thing to remember is that the study that says they do nothing is talking about chronic conditions.  But if you are lacking something due to illness or seasons or after being ill, I do believe that vitamins are a good idea. Follow the dosage on the label and re-examine your hair/skin/nails in another few months - some supplements can take a couple of months to show results. 

Has this helped?

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: