Q: 

Does C. Diff cause hair loss?

By Anonymous April 29, 2015 - 5:06am

Anonymous

There are lots of things the medical community does not know. Lots of misdiagnoses. Not to to discredit, but I have been told all kinds of crazy stuff by doctors and nurses. Therefore I add to this conversation that though hair loss may not be officially recognized side affect, my endo told me that that hair losses can be caused by stress on your system. I think Cdiff can be a stress on your system for sure esp over an extended time. Those are my thoughts.

Anonymous

Hi,

I was discharged from hospital after having a severe case of C.Diff in May of this year. My hair is shedding at a very alarming rate. My C.Diff infection resulted in me losing 2 stone in 7 days. Is it possible that this is what is causing the hair loss?

Thank you.

Yes it is the c diff causing hair loss ... you are having a lot of diarrhea, and you probably aren't eating enough. I had C diff 14 years ago and I experienced a big hair loss . Once I was treated and diarrhea stopped, my hair stopped falling.

I think it does cause hair loss... i am having the same problem !!! I read that hair loss is an immune response to inflammation.

This is what my endocrinologist said as well. It can be also from other stress shock to system which shock hair follicles. She treats hair loss often.

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

As I mentioned in the prior posted reply, Clostridium difficile does not cause hair loss. Speak with your physician. There may be another reason for your hair loss.

Regards,

Guide

Welcome to EmpowHER.

C. difficile does not cause hair loss.

Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) is a bacterium that causes inflammation of the colon, known as colitis.

Citing the CDC, Clostridium difficile is shed in feces. Any surface, device, or material (e.g., toilets, bathing tubs, and electronic rectal thermometers) that becomes contaminated with feces may serve as a reservoir for the Clostridium difficile spores. Clostridium difficile spores are transferred to patients mainly via the hands of healthcare personnel who have touched a contaminated surface or item. Clostridium difficile can live for long periods on surfaces.

Symptoms include watery diarrhea, which is at least three bowel movements per day for two or more days, fever, loss of appetite, nausea, abdominal pain or abdominal tenderness.

Regards,

Infections of the Digestive Tract

Infections of the Digestive Tract Guide