Does C. Diff cause hair loss?

By Anonymous April 29, 2015 - 5:06am

I was discharged from hospital after having a severe case of C.Diff in May of this year. My hair is shedding at a very alarming rate. My C.Diff infection resulted in me losing 2 stone in 7 days. Is it possible that this is what is causing the hair loss?

Thank you.

I think it does cause hair loss... i am having the same problem !!! I read that hair loss is an immune response to inflammation.

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

As I mentioned in the prior posted reply, Clostridium difficile does not cause hair loss. Speak with your physician. There may be another reason for your hair loss.

Welcome to EmpowHER.

C. difficile does not cause hair loss.

Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) is a bacterium that causes inflammation of the colon, known as colitis.

Citing the CDC, Clostridium difficile is shed in feces. Any surface, device, or material (e.g., toilets, bathing tubs, and electronic rectal thermometers) that becomes contaminated with feces may serve as a reservoir for the Clostridium difficile spores. Clostridium difficile spores are transferred to patients mainly via the hands of healthcare personnel who have touched a contaminated surface or item. Clostridium difficile can live for long periods on surfaces.

Symptoms include watery diarrhea, which is at least three bowel movements per day for two or more days, fever, loss of appetite, nausea, abdominal pain or abdominal tenderness.

Infections of the Digestive Tract

Infections of the Digestive Tract Guide