ask: Does cleansing affect the menstrual cycle, and how?

By Anonymous April 20, 2010 - 9:52am

Hi! I usually do two cleanses a year (spring and fall) and have always found that I started bleeding a few days into the cleanse, or right after the cleanse; in any case, always at a time where I should not have a period, according to my menstrual cycle... My doctor says this is not a real period, but urged by the cleanse, and that a "real" one should come at the regular time, so I should wait for that one before worrying... has anyone had this experience or has an explanation for it? Thanks!!!

The Holistic Practitioner

Hello All,

Anytime you are introducing new products or adding a cleanse to your regimen please take the time to read and research the ingredients in every product. Many herbs are good but NOT necessarily a benefit for your particular body or circumstances. Many issues play a part in deciding which supplements are good for you, for example; medications & current/past medical issues.

For example; Licorice: While it has many medicinal benefits it is NOT recommended for people with high blood pressure or heart disease...why...because it can raise blood pressure and cause the body to store water which can make those with high blood pressure and congestive heart failure worse. It can also act like an estrogen in your body which can worsen those with hormone sensitive conditions like: breast, uterine, and ovarian cancer; endometriosis, or uterine fibroids. It can also lower potassium levels in the blood. Senna is also know to cause issues in women's reproductive system.

While many companies have great products it is NOT one size fits all. Some of them come as a kit with many products, and something in the kit is NOT a good idea for you to take. If you really want it just simply ask the Customer Service Representative if you can switch the cleanse for something else due to your sensitivity to some ingredients, take the one item off and give discount now or towards your next purchase, or simply purchase what you want individually. Most companies would be more than happy to accomodate their customers. It is the same if you go into the restaurant and have food allergies.

Your life is important and it is your responsibility to say what can and cannot go into your body.

Take Supplements Responsibly,
Holistic Practitioner & Life Coach

Hi All,
The Bleeding can be cause by the tea if you are drinking Smooth move. It is also not recommended for you to take it twice a day for 14 days or 10. It can also interfere with certain medications. Whenever beginning to use herbal remedies please consult someone who has the education in herbal healings/medicine. Especially if you are taking contraceptives this tea has licorice in it that combined cause break-through bleeding in between cycles. The bleeding experience is not necessarily a regular cycle but an agitated uterus due the tea. If you would like further specific information for your individual case just respond and I would be happy to assist. Thanks ~M

I started Lyfe Tea and this is my 3rd day using it....i went to the bathroom and noticed I was bleeding....should I stop with the tea? Or is this the break through bleeding?

Your response is so helpful. I've also experienced breakthrough bleeding while using Isagenix cleanse. I just do the cleanse approximately one day per week. Should I stop using the cleanse completely?

The Isagenix Cleanse has more nutrition in it than I'd be willing to give up for some break through blessing. It must be that, thatpart of your body needing cleansing and refreshing as well.

I started a detox tea last Monday. I was just beginning my period (spotting). I missed 2 periods before this. Within two days I was bleeding and now it won't stop. It has been over a week of bleeding and it is getting worse. The last time I had the tea was yesterday. I am going to stop it.

I experienced similiar symptoms. I spoting within days of my cleanser that lasted the length of a typical period. So I discontinued the cleanser and weeks later started it again. As a result, the same thing happened within a day. Although it's not so great to get a period unexpectedly it helped me avoid my premenstral symptoms that I frequently experience. All in all, this will be the last time I use a cleanser. My husband wasn't happy either since he keeps track of my cycle and these unannounced episodes totally threw him off course. LoL!!

I have been getting regular colonics for the last couple months. My first one I had lots of gas bubbles come out and felt fatigued for the rest of that day. With each session I had less and less gas, and less fatigue after my fourth one I had a LOT of waste come but felt great the whole day after.

Had my 5th session on Saturday, very little gas, lots of waste removed but this time I felt more tired than ever afterwards and started spotting on Sunday. My regular cycle ended a few days before my last colonic and my period is extremely regular. It's Monday and I'm still bleeding, not heavily, just the brown spotting like when my period is about to start or ending. I feel great, no cramping, lots of energy so I don't know if I'm getting cleaned out or if something is wrong.

Making an appointment to see my gynecologist tomorrow just to be safe.

So i started the 10 day lemon master cleanse on 5/5/14, and today is 5/10/14. Two days ago i started a very very light pink spotting, with the most intense aching pressure in my back. At the time i wasn't aware what it was really, but then the next day my period fully started and seemed as though it was going to be a regular type of flow....umm not the case. So the morning of 5/9 i put 2 extra overnight pads in my purse left for work and then it got crazy heavy, soaking through 2 pads (as i doubled up to be cautious) within a approximate 30minutes without realizing i was almost bleeding through my clothes. This went on from 8am-4:30pm when i got off (TGIF). It is now 4:36am Saturday and i woke up to this same extremely heavy-duty flow. I am positive the cleanse triggered this as i usually have clotting and this period not the case at all just a (and forgive me for being graphic) slaughter house amounts of bleeding. I hope this last only a regular time frame period, because at this rate of bleeding im foung to be purchasing some Depends

Aboykins (reply to Anonymous)

I know this post is a bit old but I am going through the same issues stated in your blog. Very intense bleeding (I call it murder scene like blood) I am on my 6th day which is normally the day I end my cycle but there is no sign of it leaving anytime soon. I actually started to cramp today and it should be over today. I am doing the candigone cleanse. I am just interested in knowing how it turned out for you?

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: