Does HRT have a smell or change ones own body smell?

By Anonymous April 17, 2015 - 4:59am

Hello. I had a total laparoscopic hysterectomy including both ovaries - 8 days ago. I am 44 and began estrogen only HRT patches immediately. Within a day there was a strong smell that really felt like it was coming from inside me (digestive system rather than vaginal). It hasnt abated at all. It is there constantly. I have been able to wash so I know its not that. I have had the doctor check for infection and it isnt that either. All is well and Im recovering beautifully. But what is this smell???? Others cannot small it - I an pretty sure its the hormones (100 microgram patches of estrodot). I am hoping I can get used to it after a few weeks??? I suspect that the hormones are actually an increase on what I was naturally producing cause I actually feel great. I feel better than ever. - But the smell.... anyone else? I cant even tell you what it smells like? citric acid? I cant even smell /taste food over it - it is all consuming....

Thanks for your post and I'm glad your recovery is going well. 

There could be a couple of things going on. Firstly, hormones can change how we smell. This could be the immediate side effects that you have from being on the patch. 

It could also be a side effect of going through this surgery in itself. I would think this is due to hormones rather than coming from "inside" as you said - ie; digestion. 

I hope other women who read this and have gone through the same thing can give you their input but I would urge you to wait another few weeks to see if this settles down, I certainly hope this isn't something you're going to have to live with permanently. 

Has your doctor heard of this happening?