Does patching correct 6-year-old kid's lazy eye?

By October 12, 2009 - 7:46am

I have a 6 years old daughter with a lazy eye, an speacialist has seen her and she was told patching and wearing a glasses does not help her to correct the lazy eye and she is too old to do patching . there is no cure, she won't be better or worse.colud please help with this I am so concern .
Thank you

Thank you for your question and welcome!

I disagree with your child's doctor's statement that "there is no cure, she won't get better or worse".

I have a very young relative who is just a couple of years younger than your daughter and she is doing the eye patch and it is really working for her.

There are many kinds of patches and depending on your daughter's case, the patch will be selected by an informed doctor.

Please read our Lazy Eye page also, it's full of information for you that I hope you read. And I have to say again, I couldn't DISAGREE with your doctor more. If you need to - get another doctor. I just don't think that age 6 is too old at all. It won't hurt to get a second opinion from a doctor who doesn't issue blanket statements like that and is not willing to explore further options with you.

Here is our Lazy Eye page http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/amblyopia#treatment

Please take your time to read it through and the sooner you get your daughter to another specialist, the better. If it's true that it's too late for an eye patch (and that may be the case, I'm not a doctor so can't give any kind of professional opinion) then there are other treatments available. It's at least worth a try. I simply don't believe that one doctor telling you to do nothing at all and that by the age of 6, it's too late for treatment, is good advice or good health care.

Read up on her condition in detail and then see another doctor, armed with as much knowledge as you can. If it's working well for my young relative, and many other kids her age, then your daughter has a fighting chance too, whether it's the eye patch or another treatment. However, with a lazy eye, the sooner you get treatment started, the better.

I'm so glad you found us so I can tell you of other successful stories and that there is hope!

Will you please keep us posted? I'd be really interested in hearing of your daughter's progress!

Thank you so much for your quick respone. Actually I have not stopped patching and she's been scheduled to be seen by another specialist in two weeks to get second opinion. I certainly keep you posted. Thank you for your information and for giving me hope .

Eyes & Vision

Eyes & Vision Guide