Does the shingles vaccine prevent you from getting them?

By Anonymous February 10, 2014 - 9:10am

My husband has the shingles so I was doing some research on line about the disease and ran across a short video where you indicated the only way to prevent the shingles was to get the vaccine. My husband actually got the vaccine a few years back and still got the shingles. I've heard the vaccine doesn't necessarily prevent the shingles, but can lessen the severity of the symptoms if you do get them. Just wanted to share this with you because the vaccine obviously does not prevent getting the shingles in all cases.

The only way to not get shingles is to not have had chickenpox/had the chicken pox vaccine. 

According to the CDC, "In a clinical trial involving more than 38,000 adults 60 years of age or older, the vaccine reduced the overall incidence of shingles by 51% and the incidence of PHN by 67%. The efficacy of the vaccine in preventing shingles was higher in the younger age group (60-69 years; vaccine efficacy was 64%) than in the older age group (older than 70 years; vaccine efficacy was 38%).

Studies are ongoing to assess the duration of protection from one dose of zoster vaccine and the need, if any, for booster doses."

I hope your husband recovers soon, shingles is a very painful condition. 

Shingles Guide