Does skin cancer itch?

By HERWriter Blogger July 17, 2014 - 1:53pm

It's summer time so I want to make sure I'm getting enough skin protection, especially to prevent conditions like skin cancer in the future. I've heard about some symptoms of skin cancer, but I was wondering if it itches and causes irritation on skin. Does skin cancer itch?

Hi Erin

Unfortunately skin cancer is very much on the rise so it's good to be as vigilant as you are being. 

Skin cancer does not really itch. In fact, it doesn't really feel like anything which is why it's so important to get checked-out by someone else for hard to spot places like the scalp, back, back of the neck, behind the ears. 

Looking at pictures of skin cancer, it's hard to imagine it's itch or pain free but in general, the symptoms are changes in the skin, texture, raised bumps, changes in moles and bleeding/crusting over of the skin. 

Read lots more on our Skin Cancer pages here: 

Does this help you?

Skin Cancer

Skin Cancer Guide