Does stress delay the period?

By November 21, 2009 - 12:43am

Though this is women's site,I'm a guy and I have a problem about my girlfriend. We had sex twice on the 14th day of her period. We had used condoms both the time. I had checked the condoms both the time,it hadn't slipped,but the condom was wet on outer side...I am confused whether it has been leaked or it is her fluid..I later checked condom,it was not leaked either. But i am worried that if some of the sperm has entered because one drop of my pre-ejaculatory fluid has dropped on her pubic hair before first sex. She has missed her period for two days...I am worried ,We are not prepared for child. What can we do if she is pregnant and we couldn't have child?....I'm distrseed. Help me out.

Thanks for the update. I can't give you a "percentage" in terms of her risk, but it's low.

She may just be a few days late and will get her period any day now, or occasionally some woman actually skip a month.

Take a pregnancy test and you'll know whether she is pregnant within 3 minutes! Since she is a couple of days late, she's very ready for a test. I suspect it will be negative but she can take one just in case. And it will ease her mind, as I know how stressful it can be to be worried about pregnancy.

Let us know the result!

Dear Susan ,
the second day she missed her period, she felt mild pain at lower abdomen and some fluids came out(not the blood)...we hoped that it was symptom of period..is it so? but on the third day, she is normal and has no pain. What are the chances that she will have her period ?...We are planning to wait few days more and then only see a gyno.

(reply to helpher)

The only real symptom of a period is the period itself--bleeding.

There are pre-menstrual symptoms associated with a period, but the "fluids" you are referring to was most likely her cervical mucus secretions. Women have fluid discharge at all times during their cycle, and the consistency changes throughout the cycle..this is normal and healthy...and is commonly called "cervical mucus".

There really is no need to go to the gynecologist at this point; I believe if she even calls that they would ask her to take a home pregnancy test (or, they would perform a pregnancy test via urine in-office, which is more expensive). If the HPT comes out negative (which it probably is), they would just tell her to wait until her next period. Women's cycles are not like clockwork (unfortunately), and do ebb-and-flow with being "early" or "late", and even a missed period (with a confirmed negative HPT) is OK.

I would suggest taking Susan's advice and have your girlfriend take a HPT to rule out pregnancy; you used a condom which is about 98% effective at preventing pregnancy when used correctly. The fluid on the outside of the condom was most likely from your girlfriend's vaginal lubrication (since there was no leak or break in the condom).

A good reason to go to the Gyn is if your girlfriend is interested in using hormonal birth control (the "pill"), since it sounds like condoms are not providing the confidence or assurance that you both are looking for.

Lastly...good for you for using a condom! Practicing safer sex is the best way to prevent a pregnancy, and it is wonderful that you two care about each other enough (and yourselves) to protect each other.

(reply to Alison Beaver)

Dear Alison,

Thanks for your answer. As per Susan's and your advice,I will have my girlfriend take HPT test.

Dear Helpher

Thanks for your question and welcome! Condoms are very effective and if none of them leaked, then she should be protected. The "wetness" you felt was probably her fluids. If you think there was some leakage before hand, it could raise her risk of pregnancy, especially mid-cycle but you'll have to wait it out.

As to whether stress can affect a woman's monthly cycle - it can.

If she is pregnant, it's a personal choice on what to do.

I hope this helps and please keep us updated!

Dear Susan Cody,
thanks for you help . As far as I know,there was no leakage of ejaculation but just the drop of pre-ejaculatory fluid was dropped on her pubic hair. How much risk is associated with it? How far the period could extend normally if she is not pregnant?