Hair Products

ask: Donating Hair: Locks of Love vs. Pantene Pro-V Beautiful Lengths

By anniekg

For so long I have been frustrated with the inability to grow my hair out. About 6 months ago I came across Pantene Pro-V's new product, Beautiful Lengths lengthening shampoo and conditioner. I figured it probably would not work but I have liked their products in the past so I bought it anyway. About 4 months after using the shampoo and conditioner my hair began to grow like a weed! Now, 6 months later my hair is 2 feet and some odd inches long.

I would love to donate my hair soon, but I am having trouble deciding between the Locks of Love and Pantene's Beautiful Length's program. I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight or advice on which to choose and why.

Anonymous

I have donated hair 3 times now and getting ready for a 4th... Each time I have donated to Pantene's program and received a nice thank you letter (even when I donated without specifically including my information). I am happy to have my hair used in any capacity that will help someone who needs it... no matter what. I am confident that BL receives my hair and put it to good use! Based on what I have heard/read about LOL, I will continue with the Beautiful Lengths program.

Anonymous

Being a hairdresser I always told my clients to donate to Locks of Love. I stopped doing that a couple of years ago when I found out all the problems with the organization.
About 2 years ago both my boys asked to grow their hair-I has always buzzed them because it was easier. I said yes and made a deal with them. They could grow it but they had to grow it really long so they could donate it. Of course they asked why and I told them about kids with medical conditions that cause them to lose their hair-whether it be cancer or alopecia no one child or adult should not not have an option to get a wig. Then during the holidays they saw the commercial for St. Jude's and it really hit home. My older son who is 11 and just had his cut off-9 inches bless him-and my younger son who is 8 wanted his haircut before summer so he only had 5 inches. I am researching places now to send to because I want to feel comfortable to where we send it and also find an organization that can use my younger ones hair if not to make a wig but to sell it-it is a beautiful blonde color-to make money to help in the cost of making the wigs.
Being a hairdresser and a Mom of two boys I never would have thought I would have done the cut off of my own children's hair for such a great cause, but I did! And I also cut off my husbands hair-10 inches-a few years ago. I am so very proud of the three most important men in my life doing something like that to help others! My boys withstood the teasing from their classmates and almost everyone they met that they didn't know thinking they were girls. Bless them and bless all the people out there suffering from whatever it is that causes them to lose their hair.

Anonymous

I donated to LoL a few years ago, and I did receive a thank you note. But I was disappointed when I found out they charge for the wigs.....it is hard enough on a family with expenses in treating cancer. My best friend passed away 6 years ago from breast cancer and she could not afford a human hair wig......another patient gave her one as her hair was growing back. This time, I will be donating to Pantene, especially since they give these wigs to adults and they donate them.
It is tough enough to go through what these courageous individuals endure and this little gesture will make someone happy and they don't have to worry about how they will pay for it.

Anonymous

I have donated four times. Three times to Wigs for Kids (based in Ohio) and my latest donation was to Pantene Beautiful Lengths. There is also Wigs 4 Kids (based out of Michigan) and Children with Hair Loss

Wigs for Kids requires 12 inches of hair. The give their wigs to children 18 and under who have any condition that causes hair loss.

I chose BL this last time because they give their wigs to adult women with cancer, and my sister in-law is now one of those women. They also only require 8 inches of hair. This might be the only group that donates to older adults.

Locks of Love gives their wigs to child under 20 years old with any hair loss condition. Hair donations have to be at least 10 inches. The problem with LoL is not so much that they sell hair, but they "lost" 6 million dollars from donations.

Anonymous

Reading all these posts has really conflicted me. My 3 year old just said good bye to her 11" of hair today and we initially were going to donate to LOL. Then I heard about Pantene. So I researched it and found this thread. Backstory. I have alopecia and have been wearing a wig for about 15 years. I lost my hair at 13 and had no idea about LOL back then. My parents couldn't afford a wig for me so I had to face the riducule, teasing, self-esteem killing teen years with patches of hair somewhat disguised. Still. To his day I cannot afford a nice human hair wig. I know cancer can be deadly, heck, there is a high chance I'll have breast cancer because my thick immediate family history so don't think I am comparing the two. But frankly, nobody feels bad for the poor bald used to be amazingly beautiful redhead who will never have hair again.

I feel for you! Next week I go to donate another 12 inches of hair. I started donating at the age of 18 and here I am now 57 years old with gray hair and still doing it. Next weeks donation will make a total of 112 inches (give or take a few inches) that I have donated. I used to donate only to LOL until I found out (about 20 years ago)how poorly managed the organization is. Anyway, I do care and I wish you all the best. I bet you're still beautiful!

Anonymous

I will most likely be donating 8 inches of my hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths tomorrow and I had to make the same decision. The mane reason I chose Pantene is the length requirements. Pantene only requires 8" minimum of hair whereas LOL requires 10". Another reason is that Pantene donates to woman fighting cancer whereas LOL donates to many people fighting alopecia areata and other hair-loss condition, not just cancer. I have lost 2 relatives to cancer and my best friends mom suffered breast cancer twice. I have no connection to another hair-loss condition.

Anonymous

My 14 year old daughter has donated over 44 inches of hair to Locks of Love, in four hair donations. She NEVER received a thank you card or anything verifying they recieved the hair. She just cut her hair, for the 5th time, another 14 inches and the hairdresser suggest BL. I am mailing out her donation today. I work at a cancer facility and would like to see the wigs go to cancer survivors, free of charge. I never knew LOL sold their wigs.

Before accusing them, you should look at the facts. They don't sell the wigs. They provide most of them free of charge, with families who are financially well-off paying some of the cost... some. LoL will send a thank-you or acknowledgement if you include your address and the printout with the hair. Otherwise, it's a simple donation. Check your facts, first. I hope Pantene is successful in their endeavor, but would like to think they are not the ones spreading the ugly rumors.

I have donated to LoL once & BL twice. The 2nd donation to BL I didn't bother with the paper work inside the package, I just threw the zip lock bag of hair into a mail pouch & sent it off. BL sent the thank you note to the name on the return address label. (so my Dad with thinning hair got a thank you note)
If you read the details both companies will sell hair they can not use to help pay for the manufacturing of the wigs.
My biggest deciding factor in where to donate was LoL gives to children where BL gives to adults. Since I am an adult I chose to give for other adults. My daughter is thinking of donating in the fall & I will probably suggest LoL since she is a child & the donation would go to another child.
Either way it is for a good cause & you should be proud of yourself for doing so. I often say "God can't make me mostly grey because then I can't donate my hair" (yes I know some places will still take it, but I don't want the grey :)

Would you switch hair or skin products for ones with fewer chemical additives?: