Hair Products

ask: Donating Hair: Locks of Love vs. Pantene Pro-V Beautiful Lengths

For so long I have been frustrated with the inability to grow my hair out. About 6 months ago I came across Pantene Pro-V's new product, Beautiful Lengths lengthening shampoo and conditioner. I figured it probably would not work but I have liked their products in the past so I bought it anyway. About 4 months after using the shampoo and conditioner my hair began to grow like a weed! Now, 6 months later my hair is 2 feet and some odd inches long.

I would love to donate my hair soon, but I am having trouble deciding between the Locks of Love and Pantene's Beautiful Length's program. I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight or advice on which to choose and why.

Anonymous

I will most likely be donating 8 inches of my hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths tomorrow and I had to make the same decision. The mane reason I chose Pantene is the length requirements. Pantene only requires 8" minimum of hair whereas LOL requires 10". Another reason is that Pantene donates to woman fighting cancer whereas LOL donates to many people fighting alopecia areata and other hair-loss condition, not just cancer. I have lost 2 relatives to cancer and my best friends mom suffered breast cancer twice. I have no connection to another hair-loss condition.

Anonymous

My 14 year old daughter has donated over 44 inches of hair to Locks of Love, in four hair donations. She NEVER received a thank you card or anything verifying they recieved the hair. She just cut her hair, for the 5th time, another 14 inches and the hairdresser suggest BL. I am mailing out her donation today. I work at a cancer facility and would like to see the wigs go to cancer survivors, free of charge. I never knew LOL sold their wigs.

Before accusing them, you should look at the facts. They don't sell the wigs. They provide most of them free of charge, with families who are financially well-off paying some of the cost... some. LoL will send a thank-you or acknowledgement if you include your address and the printout with the hair. Otherwise, it's a simple donation. Check your facts, first. I hope Pantene is successful in their endeavor, but would like to think they are not the ones spreading the ugly rumors.

Anonymous

I plan to donate to Pantene Beautiful Lengths this month. I have heard negative things about LOL, but my main reason for choosing Pantene is that I am donating in honor of my sister in law who is battling ovarian cancer. LOL does not focus on cancer. I can't think of the name of the illness right now, but it is not cancer. My goal is to donate to benefit women like my sister in law that are facing cancer. A lot of the other organizations give to children but do not give to grown women. They are good organizations but they do not fit my need.

Anonymous

A lot of people complain about Locks of Love selling gray hair or unusable hair to compensate for their expenses, but I'm surprised that everyone fails to understand how a business operates, non-profit or not. Making wigs out of real hair takes labor and materials. Do you know how to make a wig? Because I sure as hell don't. It requires research and expertise.

Who is able to spend all that time making wigs and making sure that the hair does not fall out from the wig (especially for active kids)? The people who work to make the wigs still needs to eat, to sleep, to have transportation, to have clothes, etc. There are full-time employees who work for the company full-time, who also need a place to eat and sleep. Not to mention that, but the buildings they operate in and whatnot. So WHO is going to pay for all of that? You think that money is just going to fall from the sky?

The reason that Pantene seems more successful in the way they run their program is because they are a for-profit organization with a not-for-profit cause. Pantene is able to fund Beautiful Locks as needed. Locks of Love, however, is a non-profit organization to begin with. That being said, LoL does its best to reduce the cost of wigs for families. However, there is only so much that can be done without going bankrupt and not being able to help at all.

dawnziegler

I donated my hair to Locks of Love three years ago,when my husband was diagnosed with cancer. I received a thank you card from them, but how or if my hair was used, I don't know. My husband passed away two years ago and I'm now active in Relay for Life and my local American Cancer Society. Next week at our Relay For Life event, we'll be cutting hair to donate to Pantene Beautiful Lengths, because the wigs go directly to our local ACS chapter. It's a much better choice for me.

Anonymous

I have donated to LOL 4 times and have not recieved any conformation they had recieved my donations. I cut 12 inches off about 3 years ago and have not sent it in yet because I had heard rumors of the wigs not being free to the kids. I just cut off 18 inches and have been looking to see who would benefit the most. After reading everyones comments I think since I have 2 donations I am going to split it and send to LOL and Pantene. I just hope and pray that both will go to help someone who really needs it and doesn't get discarded. I can and will countinue to cut and donate my hair and I do it to honor my family members that I have lost to cancer and my little cousin who has survived.

Anonymous

Well I did the Pantene one last year and they sent me a letter saying they were thankful for my 8 inches of hair. Contrast to my friends who have done locks of love they had to give 10 inches.

Anonymous

Don't do LoL. Do Pantene's. I have personally donated to both of these, and I found out the Pantene donates the wigs for free to the cancer patients, but LoL does not. They sell them to the families, and sometimes they even sell the hair that is donated to people that don't have cancer. I hate it, they have such a great idea, but they're not carrying through with it.

Anonymous

I would go with Locks of Love. They are more flexible with the types of hair they accept. If the hair is unusable, they sell it to help with other costs. Also you can donate colored, gray, or permed hair. Pantene only accepts natural hair. Locks of Love needs at least 10 inches, while Pantene needs at least 8. I'm getting ready to donate my hair to LoL because I have colored hair.

Would you switch hair or skin products for ones with fewer chemical additives?: