Dry eyes at night

For the past several months, left eye has become very dry during the night. Sometimes I wake up and it feels like sand underneath my eyelid. This past week I've noticed occasional mild dryness with my right eye as well. During the day my eyes are normal. I don't recall ever having this issue before.

By the way, I am 52, in good health, non-smoker, only take a multi-vitamin along with occasional ibuprophen and do not wear glasses or contacts.

Thank You.

Thanks so much for your post.

The first thing I wondered when reading your post is whether you are entering menopause. Dry eye is quite common with menopause and the average age to start menopause is actually 52 and dry eye is more common in women than in men. Is this the case with you, perhaps?

There are other reasons for dry eye, of course. Your eyes may not be making enough tears, you may be having a reaction to certain medications or having an underlying condition that needs a health care provider to take a look at.

Take a look at our Dry Eye page and you'll find lots of information, including causes and treatments, as well as expert articles and the experiences of other women. Let me know if this helps you!

Eye Infections

Eye Infections Guide