During breakthrough bleeding is it possible for you to get pregnant/have implantation?

By October 18, 2011 - 8:45am

What is being shedded during break through bleeding?
I had a paraguard IUD for almost 1 year but removed it 10/10/11 due to super horrible cramps and heavy bleeding which made my anemia worse. My husband and I would like to concieve sometime mid next year around June (our initial plan). I chose to go on Loestrin 24 FE for these next couple of months. We had unprotected sex the day before removing the IUD. I started the pill 10/10-10/13. We had a sudden change of heart and decided to just try and stop putting it off SO I stopped the pill after only taking it for three days. I ended up buying home pregnancy tests and those OPK just for the heck of it. I used the clear blue digital ovulation kit and to my surprise it was POSITIVE for a LH surge that day 10/13 (last day of pill). As of 10/16 I have had bleeding which im assuming is withdrawl or break through since its not time for my menses. I now feel horrible and really want to be pregnant but im worried that the blastocyst will not be able to attach since im bleeding. Should I still be able to get pregnant with this bleeding?

Did you ever find out if you were pregnant? Im going through the same thing but stopped taking the pill on the 6 day and sex the next day and I didnt take anymore. That week was my ovulation week.

Thanks Susan, I will be taking a test next week (crossing fingers).
Just another quick question...
I know that withdrawl bleeding occurs due to the hormone levels changing and that its not a "real period". If it is not a real period, where does the bleeding come from? Is anything being shed? Im not sure I understand the true meaning of withdrawl/break through bleeding.

HERWriter Guide (reply to lisa84)

Hi Lisa

When we talk about our period when on birth control, it's not really a "period", as you know, because we're not ovulating. The shedding consists of the extra lining from the uterus. It happens when you go off the Pill for your 7 day break but then your cycle goes back to being hormonally regulated again once you start on you day 1 pill. In a way, your body is being tricked all the time, by thinking it's pregnant while on the Pill, and then not while on your 7 day break.

Since you are taking your pills for 21 days straight, you are still fully protected for the 7 days if you have sex as long as you start your day 1 pill on time at the end of your 7 day break.

I hope this doesn't confuse you further!

Hi Lisa84

It would be unusual for you to get pregnant unless you ovulated the day you came off the pill and the unprotected sex you had 4 days beforehand was still able to get you pregnant but obviously we can't be sure of this - I'm just saying if you are pregnant, it would be a lotto winner! But if your ovulation test was possible, then you never know!

Since you are off all medication now, continue to have sex at least every other day since you don't quite know where you stand and you can test for pregnancy about two weeks after you have had unprotected sex.

Relationships & Family

Relationships & Family Guide