Q: 

Early period/bleeding after already getting period after Plan B.

By May 8, 2017 - 5:01am

That title might be confusing. I took Plan B the day after having sex with my husband (won't go into details as to why, you can figure it out). I then got my period exactly when I should have about two weeks later. Yesterday it felt like I was getting my period, but it wasn't due for ~9 days so I ignored it. Woke up to blood this morning, it appears I got my period rather early. If anything, I usually get my period late, I have never gotten it early. In addition, maybe it'll start today, but I don't have the horrible cramps that usually come when my period starts. Again, it may be too early and those may begin later today, we'll see. I know Plan B can mess with your cycle. Is that all this is? If it doesn't last for the normal length, it seems like I should go see a doctor, right? I'm just a bit freaked out as I've never gotten it this early before. Advice appreciated.

Guide

Hello ajh0923,

Welcome to the EmpowHER community. Thank you for reaching out to us for help.

You are correct. Plan B can cause changes in the menstrual cycle. It can cause the next menstrual period to start earlier or later than expected. Flow can be lighter or heavier than normal.

You may have reacted to the pill in such a way that you are having earlier bleeding after a normal period. For peace of mind, speak with your gynecologist.

Regards,

Emergency Contraception