EllaOne morning after pill questions

By Anonymous April 26, 2016 - 10:33am

So I was scared that some precm got on the outside of the condom when I had sex (even tho only the tip of the penis went in and he did not ejaculate) so I decided to get the morning after pill. I could only get hold of it 3 days after sex. But the ellaONE says you can take it up to 5 days after sex. I just have a few questions about it.
1.) what causes the morning after pill to fail?
2.) how effective ls it taking it after 3 days?
3.) will it cause my periods to be irregular? Will I get my period on time?

4.) are there any risks in taking the morning after pill?
5.) what if the sperm has already fertilised the egg, will the egg still work? (It states in the leaflet that it does not work if you are already pregnant so does it mean you are pregnant if the sperm and egg have met?)
6.) after taking the pill and hearing about my scenario what are my actual chances of becoming pregnant?
Sorry for all these questions I'm just very worried!

To answer your questions:

1. This medication can fail when you don't take it within 24 hours (you took it three days later which gives it about a 70-80% success rate).
2. See above
3. It can cause irregularity - your next period could be anywhere from a few days from now to a few weeks. This is due to the large dose of hormones in EC that cause your cycle to be interrupted.
4. There are no real risks other than it not working and side effects such as nausea, head ache and irregular bleeding.
5. The leaflet was talking about a pregnancy already in place. If you were already pregnant before taking EC then it will not affect that pregnancy.
6. See #1.

Read more here: http://www.empowher.com/birth-control/content/facts-about-emergency-contraceptive-pills