Emergency Contraception after condom accident?!

On August 16 I had protected sex with a condom, but as soon as my boyfriend came he pulled out and we noticed the the condom had torn. We didn't know if anything came inside of me and this was the first time it has happened to either of us. We right away went to a drugstore and bought the Plan B pill. I took it about 30 minutes after the accident. I'm supposed to get my period August 20th, so in about 4 days. Does anybody know how this will affect me? Or if you think I may be okay?

Hi Howie112

Thanks for reaching out to EmpowHER with your concerns!

Emergency contraceptives are up to 95% effective for women under 176 pounds (it is less effective for women over 165 pounds and ineffective for women over 176 pounds) when taken as prescribed within the first 24 hours, so your risk is very small. Side effects can include stomach aches, headaches, nausea and a general feeling of being unwell. Symptoms usually start 3-7 days after taking the medication and may or may not include bleeding. If you don’t get your next period within a week of it’s expected date, a pregnancy test may be necessary although the risk is very low, especially since you're not even sure anything leaked from the condom.

Read more here: http://www.empowher.com/birth-control/content/facts-about-emergency-cont...