Emergency Contraception Complications?

By February 4, 2016 - 4:41pm

Hi, last week on Friday (it's Thursday now) I had sex with my boyfriend. We don't quite remember when it happened, but at one point he looked down and the condom wasn't on anymore. I rolled to the side and it was next to / under me. We didn't continue having sex, and he told me he didn't cm in me. He did cm before and threw that condom away and put on a new one. He said he probably was in such a rush to put it on that he might've put it on inside out, which caused the slipping. We went to the pharmacy immediately to purchase emergency contraception. I took the pill that night. That was right before I was going to start my period. It was the 29th of January. My last period started on the 30th of December and went into the beginning of January, so I was expecting. Sometimes, my period is a few days late or early, though. So it didn't come, and I thought nothing of it. But now it's Thursday, and I still haven't gotten it. Should I be freaking out over this? We had sex the friday before last friday, the 22nd of January, and according to an app I have that tracks my period, I was ovulating. But, we used a condom and had no complications that night, so I don't know if that could've caused it. I am extremely stressed and I don't know if I should be. I read online that emergency contraception can cause early/late periods, but what if the period was supposed to start a day or two after taking the pill? How long should I wait?

Hi stw20,

There is no need to freak out about anything, really.

Your app stated that you were ovulating on the 22nd which, unless you have a 40 day cycle, is incorrect, as you said your period is already late.

If you had your period at the end of Dec then you would ovulate around the 12th or 13th of Jan...way before the 22nd. If you period was due just before this incident happened, there was no need to take emergency contraceptives as your ovulation would be long over, even if it was the 22nd.

A pregnancy test would be accurate by now. Your risk is very low but a test will let you know for sure.

Thank you so much! That's relieving. How long do you think, in my situation, it will take for my period to show up?

HERWriter Guide (reply to stw20)

I have no idea. That's up to your own body. General thought is 1-4 weeks after taking emergency contraception.

Okay, thank you. I feel so much better.