By October 26, 2015 - 10:01am

I've been thinking maybe I have endometriosis I have had the symptoms since I was a teenager. I've bloated and been constipated for years. Recently I had my period around august or September then after the period I bleed again for a week after sex. Can endometriosis cause this? I have whit thick stuff that looks like cottage cheese and sometimes blood in my cervix I pull it out when I see it and its a foul smell. I've been having this issue since I was younger. can endometriosis cause this?

Hi AnxiousGirl

Normally, endometrial tissue is found only inside the uterus. The uterus is the reproductive organ where a fetus develops. Hormones cause the tissue to form there, preparing the body for a fertilized egg. If you do not become pregnant, the tissue leaves the body during menstruation.

In endometriosis, endometrial-like tissue is found outside the uterus. For example, it may be found on organs in the abdomen or pelvis. In these places, the tissue still responds to hormones. It swells, breaks down, and bleeds. But it is unable to leave when you menstruate. Surrounding tissue becomes inflamed. There is often scarring.

Symptoms range from mild to severe. You may have many large growths with little pain. Or, you may have small areas with intense pain.

Symptoms include:

Cramping and pelvic pain (especially just before and during menstrual bleeding)
Pain during sex
Heavy periods
Low back pain
Pain during bowel movements or urination

Thick white cottage cheese discharge indicates a possible yeast infection. A foul smell could indicate infection. You need to get this seen to, don't hazard a guess. Also, be careful not to self-diagnose with something as potential serious (infertility) as endometriosis. Please see your doctor for a full exam and testing.

Thank you I went to the er yesterday and found out I had a very bad uti by a doctor who tested my urine and it had blood in it. I am prescribed 2 prescriptions

Endometriosis Guide