Endometriosis Surgery - Can I have Soy Products?

I had a total hysterectomy in January this year. While in there the Doctor discovered I was full of endometriosis, adhesions and scar tissue. I am having severe hot flashes and would like to try natural treatments for them. I am unable to take HRT as there is a strong family history of Breast Cancer.

Yes, this has helped. I will find out for sure what type of breast cancer my Mother and Sister had/have. If the endo comes back, no problem at this point, but I don't want to encourage breast cancer.

Thank you for the links, I will look at them over the weekend.

Have a fantastic Day!

Hi PrincessFiona60

Thank you for your question! I'm sorry you are going through such health care problems. 

Soy does have properties than can mimic estrogen so I can see where your concern lies. These properties are called  isoflavones but they are very weak forms of phytoestrogens. 

In general, soy is great. It contains good protein, has no cholesterol and is low in fat. 

But what is generally considered prudent is for women with a strong history of a certain kind of breast cancer - estrogen receptor positive breast cancer - should avoid soy or use it in small amounts. Those who have a history of breast cancer due to other reasons (there are many kinds of breast cancer, I will leave a link for more information at the end of this post), may be ok with eating it. 

Essentially, the jury is out on whether it's ok or not. 

PrincessFiona60, do you know what kind of breast cancer your family members have had? 

There are other natural methods to deal with menopausal symptoms - you can read all about them here: 

Read about breast cancer here: 

It's also a good idea to talk to a dietitian who specializes in nutrition for those with cancer, menopause or a strong history of breast cancer. Your doctor will be able to refer you.

Has this helped?

Endometriosis Guide