Endometriosis

Endometriosis Guide

ask: Endometriosis & Toncil Stones

By Steach123

Hello,
Well it's almost a year later since I firs posted my question. My period has been on time every month since I started Metformin in March 2010. However I have not taken it every day as I should have, but I have resumed to do so as it really helped me with my weight loss. My new dilemma is these excruciating sharp cramps and pains I have about 10-12 days before my period so my OBGYN have scheduled me to have a Pelvic U/S next week as she suspects it may be endometriosis. Which might explains my trouble in getting pregnant, mood swings and cramps.

My U/S is next Wednesday and the results will be on Friday. I can't wait to know what exactly is going on in my body. I also have an appointment with an ENT next Tuesday as my doctor referred me due to irregularity with how my toncils look and the issues I am having with them.
Which brings me to my question- Is there any connection between having endometriosis and toncil-stones?
These two problems are affecting my everyday routine of quality living and it's frustrating. So next week is going to be a week of examinations and hopefully answers to these issues. But in the mean time I would appreciate any advice you can give.
Thanks!

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide

Steach123 - It's not likely that your two conditions have any relationship to one another as the causes are very separate.

According to the Mayo Clinic, a process called retrograde menstruation is a likely explanation for endometriosis. That's when menstrual blood containing endometrial cells flows back through the fallopian tubes and into the pelvic cavity instead of out of the body. These displaced endometrial cells stick to the pelvic walls and surfaces of pelvic organs, where they grow and continue to thicken and bleed over the course of the menstrual cycle.

Retrograde menstruation alone may not cause endometriosis, though. Instead, the condition may develop when one or more small areas of the abdominal lining turns into endometrial tissue. This is possible because the cells lining the abdominal and pelvic cavities are descended from embryonic cells with the potential to specialize and take on the structure and function of endometrial cells. What activates that potential remains unknown.

Now let's look at tonsil stones. According to Web MD, your tonsils are filled with nooks and crannies where bacteria and other materials, including dead cells and mucous, can become trapped. When this occurs, the debris can become concentrated in white formations that occur in the pockets.

Tonsil stones, or tonsilloliths, are formed when this trapped debris hardens, or calcifies. This tends to occur most often in people who suffer from chronic inflammation in their tonsils or repeated bouts of tonsillitis.

It's good to know that you're seeking and getting the care you need, and I hope you'll provide progress reports in the days ahead.
Take care,
Pat

Have you ever been diagnosed with endometriosis?: