Dental & Oral Health

Dental & Oral Health Guide

Christine Jeffries

ask: Excess saliva at night over the past 5 days...is this a possible symptom of something?

By Free2Bme

I have been feeling slugglish the past few days, but do not have a cold. I have had increased saliva production in the evening...it's strange! Almost so much that I am not able to fall asleep, because I am swallowing so much.

Should I be concerned?

Anonymous

lolz people can not sleep well with too much salaivaing

Anonymous

My name is Jenny , not Anonymous, Please can someone answer my question, my husband is not pregnant (LOL) but seriously, he is 47 years old (wow i asked for help 4 years ago???) he's having this problem of the saliva almost 20 years ago and i do believe that is nothing to worry about it BUT we want to know how to get rid of that without medications, the best natural way posible. Thank you very much for the help.

Anonymous

I get excess saliva in my mouth while asleep at night.I need to get up and spit it out at night many times,nd if i accidentally swallow it,i need to vomit it in the morning.This is hppening since I was child.Now Im 30 yrs old,mom of son 4+.

Anonymous

For the past 2 weeks, I have been swallowing saliva every 30 seconds. It makes me irritating. How it can be cured? Plz suggest me some medications. Should i be concerned?

Anonymous

I have experienced excessive saliva production twice. It occurred after I took lactaid pills. I am probably allergic to the lactaid pills.

Christine Jeffries

Smoking especially while pregnant is not recommended. Here is some information about the dangers:
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/smoking.html

Anonymous

i too have this problem with increased saliva from time to time. one thing that really helps me, is to light up a nice spliff. that will brings your saliva "production" back to normal and before you know, you are counting sheeps....

Christine Jeffries

Hi Bobo,
Thanks for your question, and for finding EmpowHER. Increased saliva production is a known (and unfortunate) side effect of pregnancy. As if the nausea wasn't enough, right? I don't believe there is a way to cut the production of saliva, (according to doctors) it's just a part of the hormones, most likely. Have you tried peppermint, ginger, or some non-menthol drops to suck on, using a minty mouthwash, chewing gum, or using good tasting toothpaste when brushing? Check out the pregnancy page (http://www.empowher.com/search/google?cx=007544384767083790728%3A2otat3s...) for more fun information and ways to deal with all the crazy symptoms. Congratulations and good luck!

Bobo (reply to Christine Jeffries)

I never smoked or drink alcohol and I eat healthy. Unfortunately for I had a miscarriage on the 19th of August. I guese the excess saliva during my pregnacy was a bad sign. At the time I did not even like a smell of peppermint so it was difficult for me to even suck a sweet or have a chewing gum. My nausea was getting worse and I could not keep anything down. The excess saliva stopped 2 weeks after I have miscarried. But thank you for the advice.

Christine Jeffries (reply to Bobo)

Hi Bobo,
I am so sorry for your loss, I too have experienced miscarriage. If you need additional support, please let us know. Did your doctor tell you that the excess saliva was a bad sign? I have a pamphlet from my doctor given to me in early pregnancy, and did not see that as a danger sign and indication to call the doctor.
Here is the Mayo Clinic's information on excessive saliva:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/excessive-saliva/MY01012
Thank you for sharing your experience. It may help someone else to know.
-Christine

Do you see a dentist regularly?: