Excessive Belching

By Anonymous March 7, 2011 - 10:41am
burping excessively

I have this excessive belching problem that I have not been able to get a diagnosis for. I belch when I eat and don't eat. I belch before I go to bed and as soon as I sit up to get out of bed in the morning. I have had numerous tests and medications for indigestion and gastro problems. This has been so depressing to be burping excessively. The worst part is that I am limited to certain activities because of it. When I go for a walk, a very short walk, (like a half block) I get this pressure build up in my chest that feels like a heart attack. The pressure gets so intense that I have to stop walking for a minute or two. Then I belch and belch which relieves the pressure and I am able to continue my walk. I have also had cardio work ups. You name it I have had the test. Nothing has helped. This condition is very strange and frustrating to deal with. No one thing triggers it more than others. I went to an allergist but nothing significant was found there either. I am now watching my diet. For the past two weeks I have cut gluten from my diet because I heard it can cause numerouse health problems. Is there anything else that can be done. I will try anything at this point.

my wife currently has the same symptoms and it doesn't matter if she its or not. Had upper GI going for a test on galbladder tommorow

Glad to help. Keep in touch and hope you get the answer to your problem.

I can understand your feeling of frustration with so much testing and yet no answers. You probably have been already seen by a gastroenterologist. If not, I would suggest making an appointment with one. Here are suggestions for tests that might help with making a diagnosis:
celiac panel ( to rule out a gluten intolerance)
food allergy panel (to rule out a food allergy as a source of excessive gas)
small bowel series (to rule out a malabsorption problem
hydrogen breath test (to rule out bacterial overgrowth & malabsorption)
ultrasound of the gallbladder (dysfunction of the gallbladder can cause excessive belching)
Hope this is helpful.

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Wow! Thank you for the wealth of information. I have seen a gastroenterologist but have not had any of the other tests done. I will definitely follow-up with them and post results.
The feedback has been great!!

I am wondering if you ever found the answer to your problems? I have had similar problems coupled with severe "stomach" cramping. BELCHING ALL THE TIME, ALL DAY LONG! I do NOT swallow excessive air, do not drink carbonated drinks, etc. I finally had to go to the ER last night and found out I have gallstones. I hope you got this checked out. After being on pills for GERD for a year, my primary physican was STILL reluctant to refer me.

I used to burp and belch loudly and constantly from 9pm-3am for years.
I got relief when I was treated for leaky gut and low stomach acid. Drinking diluted apple cider vinegar or taking HCL tablets really brought relief. Healing my gut with probiotics and bone broth were the next step. Doing gallbladder cleanses with olive oil and lemon juice helped as well.

I attribute this to the antibiotics cipro and Levoquin. I also had shoulder, back, and hip tendon pain, memory loss, ringing in my ears, burning pain in my arms and hands, insomnia and food sensitivities.

Thanks for your rather intriguing question and for finding EmpowHER. Belching is the act of expelling air from the stomach through your mouth - causing a rather unpleasant sound and experience (aside from feeling relief).

Since you have been tested for so many things to no avail, I have a few questions for you.

When you eat your food - you need to eat very slowly. Do you?

Do you tend to "swallow air"? By this I mean do you breath in or gulp down an excessive amount of air? People who do this hardly ever even realize they are doing it but doing so can cause excessive pain from gas. The reason I ask this is because you mention it happens a lot during exercise. In future, when you go for a walk, pay attention to ONLY breathing through your nose and see if you continue the need to belch excessively. You may be surprised. Try to breath through your nose at all times, except when talking or eating. Make a journal as to how you are breathing when you are belching -via the nose or mouth?
Do you find that you are a mouth-breather, in general? This could be contributing to your need to belch.

Also, does this belching usually happen around others or when you are alone? Are you able to go out for a meal and socialize in general?

I hope to hear back from you soon!

Thanks for the feedback.
As for eating slowly, I will become more conscious of VERY slowly. As far as "swallowing air", I don't think I swallow air excessively as in gulping down air. I don't know that I actually breathe through my mouth during exercise so I will pay more attention to that; at all times. I know I am not a mouth-breather.
I realize that the belching happens a lot (mostly) at home or sometimes around family - off and on in public but I am able to go out for a meal and socialize in general. Another thing I forgot to mention is that sometimes at night my chest gets so full that I can't lay down. The fullness is always on my left side like around my heart. I sit on the side of the bed and my husband pats me in the back like burping a baby. At that time I belch and belch and belch really good (?) and am finally relieved enough to lay down more flatly.
Please let me know of anything else you think might be helpful. At this point, I am willing to try anything.
Thanks again for your prompt response.

(reply to Anonymous)

Since you are having the sensation of fullness around your heart when you lay down, have you ruled out any possible heart conditions? I just wanted to make sure you have been to your doctor recently, to talk about any "heaviness" you are feeling in your chest.

Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

Thank you for your response. Yes I did have a cardio workup about a year ago but all was normal. I am thinking about having another one done just to make sure. Especially since I am not finding any other solutions to my problem. And I desperately need an answer.

Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide