Excessive stress or pregnancy?

By September 11, 2012 - 10:41am

Lately, a thought is keeping me from sleeping .
I 've never had sex, but on september 1st my boyfriend and I got a bit "closer" . We touched each other without having any clothes on , and although we only stood next to each other so that we could be safer , and we were very careful, I am really terrified now. My last period started on the 8th of August, and my average cycle is 28-30 days, but today is the 34th day already and my period hasn't started yet. Ever since that day I was very worried and read some articles online , and I found out that stress and changes in alimentation can be reasons why my period could be late. As I said, the thought that I might get pregnant has kept me from sleeping and eating properly over the last 10 days , and I get even more stressed and tired each day . I don't think that it's really possible, but both me and my boyfriend are very scared.

My parents are doctors and maybe they could help me with advice, or in case something happens... But my mom saw us hugging one another , and she told me was surprised , although we had been together for several months, so I don't think that they could understand , if I tried to talk to them.
So ... should I be worried? Is this considered normal? Should I tell my mom already , or should I wait a few more days, to be sure I won't make her worry for nothing? ... What should I do?

Hi again!

There is no set time period for sperm to die but it's fairly quickly - 5 minutes to 45-60 minutes.

There is no way you could get pregnant via indirect contact - there must be sperm to vaginal contact. Sperm don't walk, jump or swim to the vagina from other body parts.

Period can be late - period! There are no set answers to your questions because answers vary from person to person and situation to situation. All I can do is reassure you that you cannot get pregnant from anything you have done.

You need to have sex to get pregnant. Other scenarios (and as you can see  from our website, people think they can get pregnant from pretty much touching a man!) just don't end up in pregnancy. Make sure you get your information from your Mom or very reputable sources, otherwise you'll read the most ridiculous stories about pregnancy online with absolutely no foundation!

Take care.

Hi Cyberpavy

You cannot get pregnant by touching someone!

Have you had any sex ed? If not, I highly encourage you to talk to your parents about this as this is very basic stuff. You have to have sex to get pregnant or at the very least, direct sperm to vaginal contact.

But you are right - stress does not help the menstrual cycle. Just know that there is no way you can get pregnant and this should reassure you.

What you say to your mom is up to you but she will understand that any young person needs sex ed and as a doctor, she can provide this education for you very well.

Thank you, Susan :) . I understand, and I will try to relax now. I have had some sex ed, and my mom also had a great contribution.
But, knowing that it takes at least the spem to vaginal contact, this is what I feared most . I found out about EmpowHER yesterday, when I was reading some articles. I read some of the posts here and I thought it would help if I had someone with more experience to talk to. I would like to ask you just a few more questions. First, I've heard that when it comes in contact with air , some sperm dies. Is this true? How long does it live ? Could a part of it survive on our hands (although right after he ejaculated, we went to wash our hands) just enough to take part in an...indirect contact?
Then... If I can be sure nothing dramatic happened, but my period is still late, should I be worried or is it somehow a natural response to stress? How many days can a period be late before it's considered unnatural? This has never happened before, and I think I have been regular for 4 or 5 years now .

Thank you for your advice ^^ . I feel much better now :)