Beauty

Beauty Guide

Cary Cook BSN RN

ask: Eye makeup for older women?

By TheBoldBlend

As I near 40, I notice that darker eyeshadow colors end up settling into my fine lines (not ready to call them wrinkles yet). I'd like to lighten up my look without looking washed out. Any tips?

Christen_B

Thanks for the advice. I try to stay away from any eyeshadows with a sparkly sheen as these seem to get often enhance those fine lines in the eyelids. I use a moisturizer (as I have dry skin) followed by a primer. The primer helps diffuse light and even out any small wrinkles and makes a great base for the makeup to ride over. Then comes the foundation and loose powder which is lightly brushed on and NEVER blotted (blotting will push it into the wrinkles). This seems to hold up well for me all day when I do and need to have a full look.

The other HUGE thing for me has been to try to increase elasticity to aging skin through facial exercises and drinking lots and lots of water. I also use the Obagi line of products on my face and do believe in glycolic and lactic acid facial peels to help stimulate collagen in skin as it ages. All in all, I think I have reclaimed about 10 years through these steps or a bit more.

On top of that I always make sure to wear a sunscreen when I am out and a hat if the sun is very strong as in the middle of summer.

It's becoming more and more work and more of a concerted effort to keep what we have as we grow older, but I do think it is possible to look our best at any age simply by following a regimen of simple steps.

Best wishes to everyone and if anyone has any questions or wants to see some of the looks I have achieved, please do ping me. I love to talk skin care and help where I may be able to offer.

:)

TheBoldBlend

Thank you! I need to select some lighter colors. Maybe pairing it with a bolder lipstick. Hmmm, fun problem to solve. :)

Hi BoldBlend

Remember that what looked great on us at 30, sometimes doesn't at 40. Bold colors on the face are not always our friend as we age!

At 42, I still use loose power but lightly - enough to get rid of any shine. Compact powder makes me look clogged up.

A facial every 4-6 weeks is great and cleanse/tone/moisturise every day. Don't worry about fancy products, moisturizers need to contain sunscreen and Retin A to work well and you can get these for under $20. Compare active ingredients and if the first 3 or 4 are identical (drugstore Versus department stores) then get the drugstore brands - the extra $60 is paying for the name "Clinique" rather than "L'Oreal" but it's all the same thing.

A gental facial scrub is good too, once or twice a week.

We're not wearing the same clothes and accessories or hairstyles as we did when we were 20 and our makeup should evolve with us too.

You look great!

~Susan

TheBoldBlend

Thanks! I've been thinking lately that it is time to ditch my powder. I'll be on the look out for the Ageless product line.

Hi BoldBlend!

CoverGirl has a new simply ageless line that is not supposed to settle into any fine lines in your face. 

Here's a great source full of tips (like how to lose the powder that has a tendency to settle in those lines!) http://marisawright.hubpages.com/hub/Mature-Makeup

Hope this helps-- and I hope you can get some first hand advice from others who had actually used these products.

Rosa

Need Your Feedback! What health topics would you like to see covered more on EmpowHER.com?: