eye twitch

By October 15, 2009 - 4:17pm

Expert HERWriter

HI again Jinger,

Thank you so much for clarifying what is going on with your eye twitch. I read the posts above and I think you have received some excellent suggestions and information. I also ran a search for "eye twitch" on the site and found a post from a young woman who wrote about her twitches earlier this summer. I also thought the replies she received were helpful and some of them mirror information given above (like the magnesium/calcium ratio):

Like you said, just one cup of coffee a day probably wouldn't be causing the eye twitch, especially since you've been drinking that amount for some time. I'm not a physician or anything but to me that doesn't seem like a lot of caffeine. You might be onto something with your lower amounts of calcium than magnesium. Please let us know what you decide to try and what works for you. I hope the twitch goes away soon! Big hugs, Michelle

Hello Jinger:
I developed an eye twitch a few years ago, and, like you, searched for a reason. In my case, the twitch turned out to come from the strain of using a miniature computer with a small screen for several hours a day. The twitch stopped after I moved to use of a larger monitor and stopped using the small screen. I can't tell from your comments if you're using a small screen a lot, but in case you are, I wanted you to be aware of this.

Please let us know what you learn from the doctor, and best wishes to you in finding the cause of your eye twitch.

Take good care,

Firstly, I would advise you to get a vegan calcium supplement. I have been vegetarian for 19 years and my children have never eaten meat at all in their lives and I buy supplements by a company called VegLife. I use non-dairy calcium supplements so this should help with your allergy to dairy and they contain vegan Vitamin D to help with absorption. They cost a little more than non vegan supplements but well worth it. You can find them at Whole Foods and I'm sure there are other stores that carry them.

I doubt one cup of coffee is causing your twitch but you may only be able to tell if you quit altogether. I do like a good cup of coffee myself so I find it hard to tell you to stop completely! You may want to give it a shot though, and see what happens.

I had a really bad eye twitch that lasted for 8 months a couple of years ago. It started out of the blue and twitched constantly and about 8 months later it faded away and has never come back. I'm wondering if I had somehow damaged a nerve and it finally healed itself.

Since people get twitches for any number of reasons, it's hard to find the root causes of it. For some it's stress (as in, worry) or fatigue (the latter being a very common reason) and for others it's stress on the eye from looking at a computer screen or through a telescope or other mechanical device for long periods at a time. For still others, it's nerve damage.

Seeing a health care professional might be the best way to discover the particular reason for your twitch or you can wait it out and see if it fades away, like mine did. I do know how annoying it is though. Sometimes when my eye actually wasn't twitching, it felt odd, since it was twitching so much.

Try a vegan calcium supplement, as I said and get it seen to if it doesn't stop. I wish you the best!

Thanks so much, I will go get the calcium right away. I am also going to talk to a Dr.

I have an eye twitch that is getting worse. It started about 6 weeks ago and now it twitches 50 times a day. I have started not drinking as much caffeine. Just one cup of coffee in the am and water the rest of the day. I also saw on some comments from other readers that the calcium and magnesium levels might not match up in your system. That might be my issue. I take 800 mg of magnesium via Michelle's orders but I am terrible about Calcium. My system just can't digest the pills very well and since I am allergic to dairy I probably just don't get very much. Looking for new options or what other people have found out.

Expert HERWriter

Hi there Jinger! It looks like from your subject line that you are either asking about or looking for more information on eye twitches--is that right? When you can, could you please post again and clarify what you would like to know so we can research it for you? I think this is a topic a lot of people can relate to; I know lots of women who have gotten eye twitches for different reasons. For example, one of my girlfriends can always tell when she's short on sleep and drinking too much coffee as her eye will start twitching. Please write again when you can and let us know how we can help. Best in health, MIchelle

Eyes & Vision

Eyes & Vision Guide