Factors that delay/change menstrual cycle?

By October 22, 2010 - 12:05am

I was supposed to have my period last October 9 but it didn't come and that day, I had protected sex with my boyfriend (our last intercourse was more than a year ago). Now, I still don't have my period but I don't feel any pregnancy sign or whatever. But weeks before October 9, and until now, I've been experiencing/doing the following:

-Stress due to so many work need to be finished
-Excitement for an upcoming outing
-Been drinking this herbal tea to make my metabolism better (I'm overweight and my metabolism is so slow since I poo only maybe once in 2-3 days)

-Worried because my period is delayed

Also, my cycle has always been irregular i.e: I've experienced 28, 29, 30, 33, 35 days for my cycle. It's like my cycle always changes. Could I be pregnant? Or is my cycle going haywire again? I can't see my doctor til next month since she's out. I need help.

Mimi, thanks so much for letting us know!

I also hope it's nothing too serious but whatever the outcome, we're here to support you-
We hope to hear an update soon!

I agree that you are not pregnant. Good luck at your appointment with your doctor. Do you use birth control when you have sex? If you need additional information about it before your appointment, check out this article: Birth Control: What works, What doesn't...
Good luck! And if the cramping becomes unbearable, call your doctor's office and let them know. You doctor probably has a different doctor taking patients for them in their absence.

(reply to Christine Jeffries)

I'm really hoping that I'm not pregnant. Though, lately I've been having lots of gas in my stomach and I don't know if my friend's joking with me, but she said it can be an early sign of pregnancy.

Burping alot and having gas is not very new to me since I have ulcer and some gastrointestinal thing called 'gerd' or something but now, I've really been burping way more than usual.

I hope it's not connected to pregnancy or whatever because I'm getting paranoid again.

HERWriter Guide (reply to mimidesu)

Hi mimidesu

All we can advise is that you wait for your doctor's appointment. Gas is not an indication of pregnancy as we told an anonymous poster a few days ago. You just need to use common sense and accept that you're not pregnant; I don't know how else to assure you.

By the way - have you taken a pregnancy test?? I don't know if we have discussed that! Let us know!

Let us know how it goes when you have your doctor's appointment.

I had 3 pregnancy tests around the last week of October and they were all negative. I tried another pregnancy test just last week (over a month since my expected period which was Oct.9) and it was still negative so, I believe I really am not pregnant but, something is definitely wrong with me since I still don't have my period.

I was able to see my doctor today and she did some tests but I have to go back to her on Monday to know the results.

(reply to mimidesu)

Hi mimidesu,
Thank you for your update. And I'm glad you finally were able to get in to see your doctor. Please come back and let us know what happens with your tests. I hope it's nothing bad. Good luck, we'll be thinking about you and sending good thoughts.

Hi again mimidesu!

Painful periods are pretty common. The Pill can often help with this, as it helps to lighten and shorten periods. However, you will need to evaluate the risks because all medications carry them.

Is this something you would consider asking your doctor about?

Yes but, I still can't see my doctor not until around the 20th of November. My period is supposedly due on the 11th and I hope I get it by then. A friend told me that it is possible for me to have secondary amenorrhea.

I'm really on high hopes that I'm not pregnant and that I'll get my period soon. I also still cannot identify myself with any pregnancy symptom and the pregnancy test turned out negative that's why I'm quite confident I'm not pregnant.

Hi mimidesu

Thank you for your question and welcome!

There are a variety of reasons why our menstrual cycles change.
Being Irregular in general
Over or under-eating

Do you see any of these factors in your life (in addition to the stress you've had?) How old are you? Have you had children? Both factors can change a woman's cycle.

If you had protected sex then you are likely not pregnant. However, taking a test is a good idea, just in case.

It sounds like you may be dealing with a highly irregular cycle. I think having an annual is a good idea - not just for a pap but to check you for other issues that can play against a regular cycle. For instance, CPOS.

When you do get your periods, what are they like? Long, short, painful?

Please update us when you can, mimidesu. There are ways to control our cycles (being on the Pill is one) and we'd like to learn a little more from you so we can help you more!
I hope to hear back from you soon!

I am 20 and I don't have any children. I've also been very sick for 2 consecutive weeks and when I get my periods, they last for an average of 5 days to a maximum of 7 days. And I always get very painful cramps to the point that sometimes I can't go to school because of it.