Figuring out who got me pregnant?!

By November 17, 2010 - 9:19am

I know this seems slutty, but I have been with the same guy on and off for 5 years.. we used to sleep together all the time and he would pull out and I have never gotten pregnant.. We slept together 10/30 and then we got into a huge fight and eh said eh was done with me and I went out drinking and ended up sleeeping with someone else, this was 11/6... The boy I have been on and off with called me and apologized and we ended up sleeping together 11/09 and then went back with the other guy and slept with him 11/12... I know this was wrong and I feel disgusting for this but I guess I was trying to get over my ex by being with someone else, but in reality still wanting my ex whenever he would have me....I have taken home prego tests bc my boobs have been sore and I was supposed to start my period 11/6 and haven't .. the home prego tests came up with dark horizontal lines and very very light vertical lines.. and i went ot the docters and it came up negative but the nurse told me that if I didnt start my period in a week to come back and retest.... Is there any way to try and determine which guy could be the dad IF I am pregnant? If I happen to be pregnant would an ultra sound narrow it down?

Hi d2010

If you have not yet confirmed a pregnancy, don't stress about things too much for now but you should know for sure next week which is a good thing.

No, an ultra sound looks at the baby (think of it as a kind of x-ray/camera combo) but cannot tell anything about DNA - that's what blood/tissue tests are for.

If you are pregnant, the only way to find out is to take a DNA test which is a simple swab of saliva from both men and the baby. These tests are highly accurate. You can do this as soon as the baby is born or you can do it in pregnancy, through a process called amniocentesis (usually between 12 and 20 weeks of pregnancy and this procedure also used to look for problems with the baby's health in pregnancy) but bear in mind there are risks to this procedure and a doctor's permission is needed; you cannot do this without permission. Your doctor can explain more of this if the time comes that this issue may rise. You will still need the saliva swabs from both men.

I hope this helps and thanks for writing,