Q: 

First period after medical abortion

By Anonymous April 28, 2017 - 4:10pm

Hi, I had a medical abortion roughly five weeks ago and I am now on my first period since.
I have been bleeding for 8 days straight (before the abortion my periods used to last no longer than 4 days) and the flow is extremely heavy. I am soaking through pads every couple of hours and to the extent where it is leaking and staining clothing. I won't feel any bleeding for an hour or so but then all of a sudden I stand up and I can feel so much blood coming out. My periods have never been particularly heavy which is why I am concerned. At the beginning of the week the blood was quite brown but now it is bright red with clots in it. Should I be concerned about this? Thanks x

Guide

Hi, Anon.

Thank you for reaching out to us.

If you had a medical abortion, (meaning it was induced by medication), you may have a heavier period than normal in the first cycle after terminating a pregnancy. Were you given information about aftercare and what to expect? Even so, it's best to contact your medical provider with any concerns.

Helena