First Visit

By April 15, 2013 - 12:56pm

Hi, I'm going to a gastroenterologist and it's my first time going I want to know what do they do on a first visit? Do they examine your private area? Please let me know.

Thank You,

Thank you for your reply. I do know I'm seeing the GI doctor this Thursday and I'm actually in a lot of pain in my stomach. Since it's my first visit and being in lots of pain could it mean that he will do a rectal exam? Please let me know.

Thank You,

HERWriter Guide (reply to Melissa6666)

I don't know what exams will be done , Melissa. I don't know your doctor or how he conducts a first visit. My other post was a general outline of what usually goes on and still stands.

Don't focus on the rectal exam. It takes about 7 seconds and is often done to see if there is an obvious blockage in the colon but all doctors are different. A rectal exam shouldn't be a reason to not go to see a doctor; it's usually a part of the process if you have an gastro/intestinal or colon issue.

Thank you for your reply. The GI doctor I'm seeing Thursday is actually a male doctor and I was told that he is the best doctor for me to see. Since you mention rectal exam it doesn't bother me much but just because he is a male doctor I'm a little uncomfortable that's why. I'm hoping I can manage all of it that's all. Thank you for the information.

Hi Melissa

A gastro specialist generally deals with the stomach, digestive system and colon. What happens on the first visit depends on what your complaint is. He will listen to you, order tests if necessary and they often preform a rectal exam which doesn't hurt but since it's a rectal exam, it isn't exactly pleasant.

He will then tell you how you should proceed based on what you tell him. Each doctor works in a different way - there is no hard and fast rule on what happens with the first visit - it all depends on what your symptoms are.The first visit is usually a lot of note-taking and communication.

Gastritis Guide