Foot pain bottom of foot burning too

By November 14, 2009 - 5:23pm

Hello. I have really bad foot pain that started maybe 1 month ago. Nothing changed in my routine: wake up, work, etc. I do have to stand during my train commute, which has just made my pain worse. It was more tolerable before but has become increasingly unbearable, so much so that even when I'm not on my feet, they hurt. They also burn frequently. The pain is on the bottom towards the side and middle, like if you go moving from the middle towards the side where your pinky toe is. But the whole foot hurts. The other foot has similar symptoms but not as bad as my left foot. I have sore knees also which I feel when I go up/down stairs, or get up after sitting for awhile. I have some back problems too, including sciatica. I am also overweight. Any ideas? What can I do? Thank you for your help

Hi konbon
Thanks for the update!
A hundred extra pounds is very hard on your poor body and PCOS does lead to weight gain. There are treatments available that can help you so talk to your doctor about it during your next visit. I'm surprised your doctor hasn't mentioned some options to you before this.

And let her (or him) know about your feet. Have they checked your blood sugar?

Hi konbon

Sciatica is just dreadful. I suffered from it myself in pregnancy and the pain can be excruciating. Are you aware that sciatica can cause burning feet? You may have hit the nail on the head right there.

But pain and burning in the feet could be attributed to many problems. Some of these problems, like sciatica, aren't even originating in the feet. Feet are actually quite complex!

You may have nerve damage to your foot and being over weight many only exacerbate the problem. It could also be a localized issue like a fungus. Have you noticed any signs of an infection on your foot?

Since you mentioned you weight, I'm wondering if you may have diabetes and don't know it. You haven't mentioned it so I think it might be good to check that out. Diabetics do suffer from foot pain, including burning sensations.

Another possibility is that you have arthritis and since you also have sore knees, you may want to check this out. People with arthritis often report pain and burning in their feet.

As you can see, there could be any number of reasons, even a broken bone or fracture. Your best bet is to see your health care provider and make sure you list all the features of your foot pain, including when you're in the most pain, and anything that triggers it. Also note when it began and make sure you mention that the pain is increasing. When you mention this, it makes me more concerned that you need to see your health care provider sooner rather than later.

I hope some of this information has helped you. I'm sorry we cannot be of more help but I felt it important that you know that this pain could be attributed to so many things. Therefore this is an issue that your doctor can help you with and you would need a physical examination by a qualified professional who can help with a diagnosis and then a treatment plan.

Please make a call to your doctor and will you keep us updated?

Hello and thank you so much for replying to my message. I can clarify a few things:
I have PCOS. My blood was tested several months ago and sugar levels are within normal range (triglycerides too).
I am 26, can I still have arthritis?

I do have scoliosis, and spondilolysthesis (slipped vertebrae), so my back is not in the best shape. Last year I thought I pulled it but after going to physical therapy I was told it is sciatica.
I gained 100lbs in 1 1/2 years. I think it is because PCOS. Nothing I do changes it and this has never happened before. I'm in the middle of testing for more hormonal problems with my GYN doctor.

Thank you again for listening I really appreciate it.