Frequent bloody noses - why?

I have a question - how 'normal' is it to get bloody noses?

My husband get one about once or twice a week and sometimes when he is sleeping - because I often see drops of blood on his pillow case. Our home is well ventilated and we have a central humidifier that works well.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Frequent bloody noses can be anything from nose irritation, nose polyps to more serious signs of a blood disorder. The "treatments" and prevention, therefore, can range anywhere from adding a humidifier to the room (to add moisture in the air, and hopefully alleviate nose irritation) to other treatments for polyps. Does your son have any other symptoms associated with the nose bleeds? Headaches? Any trauma or injury to the nose? Any medications?

I would not worry yourself, but would encourage you to take your son to his pediatrician to rule out the serious stuff.

According to the Mayo Clinic, nose bleeds are normal (if they last for more than 20 minutes, seek medical advice). There is some information on frequent nose bleeds, which sounds like a simple procedure can be done to cauterize the blood vessel in the septum: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-nosebleeds/HQ00105

I hope this helps--
Let us know what the doctor says!

Hi GauginFan,

Is your husband taking any medication that would prevent normal blood clotting or any anti-inflammatory medications? Other factors may be infection, trauma, allergic and non-allergic rhinitis, hypertension, alcohol abuse, or inherited bleeding problems. To find out about some possible other causes, visit http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/forum.asp?articlekey=24699

Nose Bleed

Nose Bleed Guide