Frequent heartburn

By December 15, 2015 - 8:51am

Hi, I have recently started having frequent, sometimes severe heartburn. I had my gallbladder out back in 92, & the symptoms I am feeling are exactly what it felt like to have a gallbladder attack. I have gained a lot of weight (back, after losing it), & try to eat healthy. When should I worry? this is so recent & so out of the blue, I am not sure what's happening & why.

Hi, thanks, none of the above apply. I am 46 years old & DEFINATELY not pregnant! LOL I have always been overweight, lost a lot of weight several times & always gain it back. :( I drink socially, & I only drink beer. I don't eat ANY spicy food, I don't even like Mild salsa. I am always the last one to finish eating though. Friday after having Surf & turf at a local restaurant, I had such horrific heartburn, I didn't think it was going to stop. It finally did about 11 PM, after 5 hours. Stress is a huge factor in my life. My husband recently ran a re-election campaign in our home town. He was out of the house often which left me to handle 2 kids, 2 dogs, laundry, cooking cleaning. All this while working full time & also trying to help him knock on doors for his campaign on weekends. I went on vacation in June & lost control of my workload (at work), another vaca in August & the stress was so bad, I cried every day. Thankfully I got help, & things are better now, but I am worried about this sudden terrible pain, & how often it comes.

HERWriter Guide (reply to TraceyHenningson1414)

Hi again
I'm sure stress isn't helping. Since we have ruled out so much, it's time to see a doctor.

thanks!

Hi Tracey

Being over-weight is not healthy for the body so keep up the healthy diet and add exercise.

There are many reasons for heartburn and it's very uncomfortable, I know. I had severe heartburn in pregnancy, I thought my digestive tract was on fire. Pregnancy is a common cause - is there any chance you could be pregnant which could also explain some weight gain? If there is a chance then a test can let you know. If pregnancy is not an issue, other reasons include:

Overeating.
Eating too much can bring on heartburn no matter how healthy your diet is. Try eating smaller portions at mealtime and push away from the table before you’re stuffed.

Eating too fast.
Are you constantly feeling rushed and hurrying to eat? Wolfing down your sandwich at lunchtime can kick up heartburn within minutes. Avoid eating in the car, while you’re on the computer, or while standing over the sink. Slow down.

Fatty and Spicy foods.
Unfortunately, some of the tastiest foods aren’t good for your stomach. Sometime comfort foods like hot wings and French fries aren’t comfy for the tummy, and can trigger heartburn. If this happens to you, you may want switch out the fried stuff for something easier on the stomach.

Acidic foods.
Tomatoes are full of acid, so foods like pizza and salsa are killers for people who suffer from heartburn. So are citrus fruits such as oranges and grapefruit, and dressing with vinegar. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Drinking Alcohol.
Alcoholic beverages tend to relax the lower esophageal sphincter, which leads to heartburn. So once again, having a glass of wine after dinner may help you unwind after a long day, but it may keep you awake at night.

Certain other drinks.
Coffee, tea, and soda, whether it's caffeine or decaf, can also kick up the acid in your stomach. Try cutting down coffee to one cup in the morning, or an herbal tea instead of black tea after dinner. Sometimes a glass of milk can settle the burn as well.

Chocolate.
Although dark chocolate is said to be good for you, this doesn’t give you permission to indulge in an entire pan of brownies or a big ol’ Godiva candy bar.

Keeping a heartburn diary is a great way to sort out foods that give you the most trouble. But, if you have persistent everyday heartburn episodes, consider seeing a doctor for the best advice. Tracey, since your heartburn is pretty severe, I suggest you do put a call into your doctor.

Heartburn (GERD)

Heartburn (GERD) Guide