Future menopause – how to avoid negative side effects without hormones or drugs?

By October 6, 2010 - 6:33am

I am in my early 40s and my period is regular. Regarding future menopause, is there any advice on life style that you can give me so that I can minimise it’s negative side effects as I do not want to take any hormones or drugs when it comes. I read that Asian women have less negative side effects because they do not eat meat and therefore have less hormonal changes when the menopause comes. If I do not take any hormones or drugs, is having mood swings the only negative? How long do these mood swings last? 1 year?

Regarding loss of calcium and bone density, I am drinking lots of Valser which is water high in calcium 450mg/L, as calcium supplements lead to heart problems. How much calcium do I need to take daily if I drink high calcium mineral water, Valser?
I am also doing lots of weight bearing exercises (light weights or Nordic walking with 5kgs in my backpack) Are there any books you suggest I read?

Hi Samurai!

Thanks for your questions!

We have just bee talking about natural ways to deal with any menopausal symptoms in our new Menopause Group. Check it out here: http://www.empowher.com/groups/menopause

As far as calcium goes, you should be taking about 1000 mgs per day but you may need up to 1500mgs if you are not on estrogen once you hit menopause.

I hope this helps and we'll see you in our Menopause Group!

Can't Find Something?

ASK Moderation Guidelines