General discussion

By EmpowHER February 9, 2008 - 10:11pm

Sexually transmitted diseases are infectious diseases that spread from person to person through direct body contact or through infected body fluids. Ask questions or post insight about your experiences.

Hi Alison

I also think this is a wonderful vaccine although I am actually glad my two girls are still babies and toddlers because honestly, I'd like to see a decade of results before I offer it to my girls. I always fear a new vaccine and any possible side effects.

I have also spoken to MANY women on forums who have a strong moral objection to this vaccine. They feel it encourages girls to have sex (which couldn't be further from the truth, no more than condoms encourage sex, if girls don't want to have sex, they won't - a vaccine won't figure into it. Teenagers don't stop and think "hey, will I get HPV if I have sex? They think more about HIV, pregnancy and even herpes. )

Many of the women have said this vaccine is 'insulting' to girls on the premise that it assumes sexual activity.

My ob/gyn told me that a person is 80% likely to be exposed to HPV the first time she has sex, if her partner has had sex with even one other person in his lifetime. In other words, if you are a virgin on your wedding night, and your new husband has only had one other partner in his life, you still have an 80% chance of being exposed to HPV.

I do not agree that this vaccine has a moral component to it but many women do. I would be interested to hear from them, to hear their side and their opinions. Discussion is good, even when people disagree.

Cancer is frightening and I plan on protecting my girls from it for their lifetime.

I also plan on teaching my son that he has the same responsibilities in terms of respecting and protecting women.

My oldest just turned 4 - scary to be thinking about this already!

As with any new medical advancement, comes disbelief, questioning and skepticism, which is beneficial for continual improvement in the medical field.

However...I have been surprised at the LACK of discussion in the media about one of the greatest medical advancements of our time (in my opinion)! For the first time, we have a CURE for CANCER! More specifically, we have a VACCINE to help PREVENT about 80% of CERVICAL CANCERs in women, caused by Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), a sexually transmitted infection. (Please note: when I say "cure for cancer", this vaccine can not cure pre-existing cervical cancer, but can help eliminate cervical cancer prevalence in our society. No other vaccine has been able to prevent cancer!!)

The recommended ages for women to receive the vaccine is 9 to 26, approved by the FDA. Have any of your daughters received this vaccination? What are your thoughts about it?

For more information, visit: www.cancer.org

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Guide