Getting period back after Restrictive Eating

Hi, my name is Angie. I'm 13, 150cm and 39-40kg(I don't weigh myself). 8 months ago, I started restricting calories, exercising heavily and went down to 36.5kg at my lowest. It wouldn't really be considered anorexia though That lasted for 3 months and I have since gained weight, cut exercise and significantly upped calorie intake. My period stopped and has not come back since. What should I do? Do I need to gain more weight?

Hi Angie

Thanks for reaching out to us! 

I am glad you have stopped restricting calories.  You are probably a gorgeous young lady and smart to boot.  Don't do this to yourself - you deserve far more. 

Your period may take another month or two to get back to normal - under eating definitely causes periods to stop. 

I'm proud that you are getting back on track again Angie but these negative thoughts on food and body image can start again - do you have anyone to talk to about things? A parent, teacher, aunt or other trusted adult?

We hope to hear back from you soon-

Thank you so much for answering. I saw a nutritionist and a psychologist and my parents have been very supportive.