Got antibiotics for a uti but still having symptoms

By October 28, 2014 - 11:51am

Two weeks ago I got antibiotics for a uti. The doctor said he didn't know if it was a uti because the bacteria in the culture was low but he gave me antibiotics anyways. It got better for about a week but now I am having sever cramps that feel like period cramps. I have had a mirena iud in for about four years. I am just having bad cramping and I feel like I have to urinate all the time. Also I am having a lot of fatique and moodiness. I am going in to see the doctor tomorrow but am having a lot of anxiety about what it might be. Any ideas ?

So I went to the doctor and had a pap and std test. I got my results today and I have chlyamydia. This is my third time having it and I'm worried it will mess with me being able to have kids. The doctor said no because my pap was normal. But is there anything else I should be worried about ?

HERWriter Guide (reply to Catherine5655)

Hi Catherine! 

I'm sorry about your diagnosis. 

Since you are having your STI treated immediately, you should also check back in 6 months for another pap or just further testing as some STI's take months to show up on a test. 

Catherine, your partner has to get treated - if he doesn't you will constantly have chlamydia.  Is this the third man you have gotten it from? Catherine, you HAVE to use condoms - you're lucky you only have chlamydia - you could get HIV/AIDS or cervical cancer from having unprotected sex, as well as pregnancy. Untreated infections can lead to infertility. 

Look after yourself. Any guy who won't use a condom isn't worth a second of your time. 

Yes ! Thank you so much !

Hi Catherine

You may still have a UTI and you need to be checked for a kidney infection. 

Make sure you let your doctor know you have an IUD in so that you can have it checked. Perforation is possible. 

I'm glad you are having a doctor's visit today. Will you keep us posted?

I forgot to add I have been having some spotting as well

Kidney Infection

Kidney Infection Guide