Got bleeding 7 days after taking Plan B, is it my real periods? or could i be pregnant?do i need to take HPT?

By February 23, 2011 - 1:05pm

Hi... My situation is I had an unprotected sex 10 days back (he didn't ejaculate in me) to be safe i took Plan B within 72 hours and today 7 days after taking it m having bleeding ,its same like my periods but its thin and am confused, do not know whether its my real periods( as i was expecting my periods 10 days back but since unprotected sex, taking plan B all that stuff happened, my period got delayed) i have slight cramps but its common for me as it happens for me during my period, my question is should i think this bleeding as my period or could i still be pregnant,should i take blood test with GYN to get confirmed that am pregnant or not

Please help me....!
Jan 13th-last menstrual period
Feb 13th and 14th had unprotected sex(didn't ejaculate in me) but not sure of precum
Feb 23rd- Bleeding (can i consider this as my period ?)
Also had taken home pregnancy test 16th,20th it showed negative

Hi sonucool

Plan B does not "bring on" your period. But bleeding (that seems like a period) is a side effect of the medication and usually happens within a week of taking Plan B. This is likely what you are experiencing. You will know when you are pregnant if you miss your next period and test positive for pregnancy. Taking a test for pregnancy three days after unprotected sex will not work.

Your next period may be irregular, however, due to Plan B - this is another side effect. But if you don't get your period in the next four weeks, you can test for pregnancy.

Your cycle should go back to normal next month.

Check out Plan B's FAQ section on their website if you need more information; their website clears up a lot of questions about their product.

Best of luck and thanks for writing!