Gross Hydronephrosis in Left Kidney in Fetal

My wife due date is in another 2 weeks. The last Ultrasound doctor found that the fetal is having Gross Hydronephrosis in left Kidney. The right kidney is normal.

Does it mean that the left kidney is totally damaged or there are chances that the left kindey can be normal after treatment?

Kindly provide your feedback. Do let me know in case you need more information.

For those readers who may not know about this condition, it's where a kidney swells due to an inability to properly eliminate urine from the kidneys. 

The good news is that this condition in your baby usually resolves itself post birth (or right before the birth) in four out of five babies. 

The one of out five babies that will not have it resolved on it's one usually receive antibiotics to clear it up. 

It is generally not seen as something serious. Your wife's doctors will monitor Baby once born to see if antibiotics are needed. 

Here is detailed information for you about this condition. Bear in mind that this can be quite serious in adults but not in newborns - we don't want to worry you.

We wish you and your wife the best. I hope this information has helped you! 

Hi Susan,

Thanks for your prompt response. Now I am little relaxed.

I will provide you the remark mentioned by the radiologist.

Yesterday evening I met the paediatric surgeon. He advised me to have a ultrasound of baby after 72 hrs of birth and monitor whether baby is passing the urine after 24 hrs or not? If baby is not passing the urine after 24 hrs then it will be a case of emergency and we have to take action immediately.

With Warm Regards,

Yes, Sumit - monitoring after birth will be necessary but take comfort in knowing that most cases go away on their own.

Good luck with everything and we'd love to hear back from you when Baby arrives! 

Hi Susan,

The delivery happened on 15th June. The last ultrasound which has happened after 72 hrs. The report is as follows:

Right Kidney is normal in size, shape, position and echotexture.
No calculus or hydronephrosis is seen. The cortico medullary differentiation is maintained. Proximal ureters are not dialated.

Right Kidney measures 3.9 X 1.5 cm.

Left kidney is enlarged in size with gross hydronephrosis with mild parenchymal thinning(10.1mm). There is e/o hydrouretor also noted.

Left kidney measures 6.6 X 2.9 cm.

The urinary bladder is empty.

Consulted 2-3 doctors and they have their different opinion. One doctor has advised to start the augmentin antibiotic asap are chances that due to infection the kidney may flush out and baby will have only one kidney. The other one is suggesting not to do anything. He has advised to do the kidney functional test after 3 weeks.

Really nervous. Kindly suggest what I should do?

Hi again! 

Congratulations on your new baby! 

I honestly cannot advise you on which decision to make. But I would say that you should ask the doctor who wants to prescribe an antibiotic what the side effects of that antibiotic may be. 

Keep up posted! 

Thanks Susan.

On the advise of doctor, we conducted the M.C.U test and the finding is as follows:
Retrograde filling of left ureter was seen in resting phase which appears moderately dilated. A short segment narrowed lumen is noted at the terminal ureter.
No obvious retrograde filling of right ureter was noted.
Post void residual urine is insignificant.
The posterior urethra is normal in outline and caliber. No valve/stricture is seen.
The anterior urethra is normal in course, caliber in outline.
The stream was normal.
IMPRESSION: Moderately dilated left ureter with retrograde filling in resting phase with narrowed terminal end as described. Possibly representing congenital megaureter/hydroureter.

Is it possible for you to comment on the above M.C.U report? What is the impact on kidney due to the above issue?

Hi again! 

I cannot interpret these results, they need a specialist - I am sorry. 

Ask this doctor to let you know what this means, in plain language.