had my period twice for this month..is this ok?

By January 26, 2011 - 7:19am

i had my menstruation twice for this month..first was last jan.4 which lasted for 5 days and the second was this jan.22 for 4 days.. this was the first time that i experienced having my period twice for this month..is this just a side effect by taking pills because i took 2 pills last jan.17 and after 5 days i got again my period..im curious why is this happening..pls help..thanks..

Hi I'm 24 Yes Old & As A Teenager I Had Irregular periods. Now As An Adult my cycle only lasts about 3-4 Days but Is Really Heavy & Very Painful. This month However I Started My Cycle Dec 1st & Ended On The 5th. Well I Started Having Pain All Over My Abdomen early This Morning & it Seems I Have Started Again Dec 28th. Is This Normal?

i dont have any history of ovarian cyst or the likes but i took only the pills as emergency contraception and i dont take pills regularly..it was only for emergency puposes.. i was suppose to ovulate on jan22 or 23 based on my calendar but my second period came on jan 22..is it possible that during my second period i was also ovulating?? and i had unprotected sex on the 26 when my second period ended but he did not ejaculated inside me..is still pregnancy possible for that matter?? thanks..

(reply to princess)

Hi princess,
When you take emergency contraception, it can cause you to experience breakthrough bleeding, and can offset your menstrual cycle a bit. Anytime you have sexual intercourse, you risk unwanted pregnancy if you are not using contraception. When he didn't ejaculate inside of you, that was the withdrawal method. It's about 70% accurate at preventing pregnancy in most cases, and when done correctly. It can be hard for a man to "time" the point he needs to withdraw, so it can be unreliable to use this as your sole method of birth control.
It is important that you use reliable contraception (condom, spermicide, or regular birth control pills, plus withdrawal) every time if you don't want to get pregnant, and to avoid undue stress related to your menstrual cycle when taking emergency contraception. Taking pills in this manner is not the intended use for birth control pills.
You will need to wait until your next period to know what your "new" cycle is. If you miss your period, you can take a pregnancy test. Until then, and in the future, you may want to avoid putting yourself at further risk for pregnancy.
For more information, please review this article: Emergency Contraception Update, 2010, and Answers for Women: Am I Pregnant After Unprotected Sex?
Good luck, and let us know if you have any more questions after thoughtfully reading the articles.

Hi Princess,
Thank you for your question and for finding EmpowHER. Nineteen days is a short cycle. It could have happened as a result of forgetting to take your pills and doubling up. But you may want to give your prescribing doctor a call just to be sure. They are most familiar with your own personal health history and would be able to give you a clear answer why this may have happened. Have you had any history of ovarian cysts in the past, or did you take emergency contraception when you forgot to take your pill?
Good luck, and let us know what you find out in addition to telling us how you're doing.