Had sex for the first time at the end of my period, he pulled out too late so I took PLan B. Started spotting because of my hymen 4 days later after some rough sex I start bleeding again. Is this normal?

By May 25, 2011 - 7:57am

So on may 20, I had sex for the first time. My period ended on this date. He wasn't wearing a condom at the time but he pulled out. He was late on pulling out so I had to take Plan B (around 4 hours later).

Because my hymen broke that day, I've been having some light spotting. It hasn't stopped even after we've had sex several times again (this time with a condom).

Last night/early this morning (may 24/25), we had some rough sex and it's making me walk funny. When I woke up to pee this morning, it had a good amt of blood enough to make it pink.

Is this a side effect of Plan B? Do I have to go to a gynecologist? Or am I pregnant?

Hi naru.nore

Thank you for your question.

Having unprotected sex can lead to pregnancy. Plan B, taken within the correct time period (now up to 5 days after sex but the sooner the better) has up to an 80% effective rate.

Since Plan B also often causes bleeding a few days after having sex, and you had sex for the first time (that can cause bleeding in some woman) and again had rough sex, we can't tell what bleeding means what.

We can't tell you if you are pregnant of not, of course, only that you may be. You can wait it out for your period to come, or see a doctor - whichever makes you more comfortable.

And please consider using condoms - unless your boyfriend was also a virgin, your risk of having been exposed to HPV is very high, as well as other infections.

Thank you for writing and we wish you the best!