Is hand sanitizer good for you if you use it too much??

Someone told me that if you use hand sanitizer too much, bacteria on your hands develop resistance and become "super bacteria." Is that a myth? I use hand sanitizer about 5 times a day, I would say, and would that be enough to be detrimental?

Using hand sanitizer five times a day is by no means excessive so you are protected yourself from germs; its a good practice to continue if you can't use soap and water (which is far less drying that the alcohol contained in hand santizers). 

There is definitely truth to the notion that some bacteria can become immune to sanitizer so it's not a myth. I think what you are referring to is the sanitizer that is alcohol free but contains something called Triclosan. This is an ingredient found in pesticides.  Stay away from these sanitizers and this ingredient. It can cause problems with your hormones, can cause resistance to antibiotics and simply isn't a good chemical to be around.  There are groups working to get this nasty chemical off the market for human consumption. 

Your best bet is to use soap and water as much as possible and the sanitizer when necessary. 

Has this helped. Anon?