Has any found a way to deal with constant fatigue related to ulcerative colitis? Or any one who can relate?

By March 11, 2010 - 6:55pm

Dear Lizzie

Thank you so much for your question!

I'm sorry you're dealing with such fatigue due to ulcerative colitis; unfortunately that is a very common side effect.

I'd like a little more information from you-
Are you on medications?
Have you had any surgeries for your ulcerative colitis?

Also - what kind of fatigue do you have? Is your body aching? Are you sleepy? Do you have difficulty sleeping at night and are subsequently tired during the day?

There are many natural ways to combat fatigue
-Eat as healthily and as fresh (unprocessed) as you can. Incorporate lots of fiber in your diet.
-Take in a little exercise, even when you don't feel like it.
-Get as much sleep/rest as you can.
-Sunshine! Get at least 15-20 minutes of unblocked sunshine every day. I know this is hard in many areas now since spring as not arrived yet, but sun can filter in through clouds. The fresh air will also help.
-Drink lots of water and avoid soda and caffeine as much as you can.
-Invest in a weekly massage if you can. Have your partner do it if you can't afford the cost (I know it can add up).
-Use aromatherapy in warm baths. Lavender in a bath can help ease fatigue and de-stress the body.
-Yoga or Pilates can help a lot- local rec centers offer classes at very low prices for all levels.

I hope these tips can help you and also that other women dealing with similar issues can lend their support and experiences.

Please answer some of my questions so that we can help you further (some of your meds may be contributing to your fatigue).

Also - feel free to check out our ulcerative colitis page here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/ulcerative-colitis

We hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks for your response. I am currently on 400mg of asacol 3 times a day and 5mg of prednisone. I sometimes do not absorb the asacol and loose them through bowel movements. I sleep fine at night, but wake up pretty tired. i get between 7-8 hours a night. my body does ache, but the sheer tiredness feels dibilitating at times. i eat extremely healthy, mostly organic. I do yoga once a week and go to the chiropractor twice a month to help with the soreness. Living in New Hampshire...getting sun light is almost impossible!i love the sun, but don't see it very often! i will try the lavender in a bath. Where would i be able to buy it? Any info would be helpful!

Ulcerative Colitis