Has anyone every had a cortisone injection in their shoulder?

By March 9, 2012 - 6:26pm

How did you feel after the injection? I received a cortisone injection in my shoulder on Monday afternoon after learning I have a focal tear--I injured my shoulder back in mid-Jan. Ortho dr suggested trying this step to see if it would bring some relief of pain and inflammation--if this doesn't work, then I can get orthoscopic surgery. Geez, this really hurt and has made my shoulder hurt more! Today, Friday, it's still painful but not as bad as it was. Has anyone else had this experience? Was there anything that helped with the pain, especially where the tear is? (other than icing, ibuprofen and narco). Do focal tears heal on their own? Thanks for the information and assistance.

I have never had a cortisone injection nor experienced a focal tear.
However, I think you should give your orthopedist and tell him or her that you are having more pain following the injection.

Generally, icing, rest and use of anti-inflammatory medications are the first line of treatment for shoulder joint tears. If these conservative measures are insufficient, your physician may recommend arthroscopic surgery.

Minor tears can heal with conservative measures. Surgical repair is necessary with larger tears.

(reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Maryann: Thank you for your input and explanation. I have an appt w/my ortho doc on Monday.

Take Care,

Rotator Cuff Injury