Has anyone experienced a delayed 2nd period after taking Plan B One-Step?

Hi. I just wanted to share my situation and see if there were other women out there who may be going through the same thing.

I took Plan B One-Step about six weeks ago after an unprotected incident. I say incident because it was just really brief unprotected penetration that lasted <30 seconds. I panicked as my period tracker indicated that I was in my "fertile window" and due to ovulate soon. I purchased the pill and took it the following morning about 17/18 hours later. I was hesitant to take it, given its many side effects, but had worked myself up to go through with it just in case. I was fine after taking it, no symptoms. I was an absolute emotional MESS though. My anxiety was out of control and I ended up losing about 13 lbs throughout the experience. I was depressed and constantly upset. And this was from a situation that was already unlikely to cause pregnancy to begin with.

Anyway, I started experiencing some PMS type symptoms just over a week after ingesting the pill--slight cramps and hot flashes. The cramps were strange for me. They were concentrated in my pelvic region and felt like my pelvis was on fire. Normally I have just back cramps. My period ended up starting on June 7--two days earlier than I was anticipating--and was a totally normal period. I experienced heavier clotting than normal, but it was otherwise a completely regular period for me. Lasted 5 days, started out light and got progressively heavier, then ended lightly. Mind you, I was experiencing SEVERE anxiety during this time. There was one day I had to call in to work because I couldn't even get out of bed from depression. It took another week after my period had ended for the anxiety to calm down. I went on with the rest of my month as usual. Perfectly happy that I had gotten through that experience and ready to move on with life and make better choices about my health and sex life.

My boyfriend and I have not had sex since this incident, which occurred on Memorial Day 2015. Therefore, it has been six weeks since this all went down. My period tracker said I was due to start back on my period again July 4--estimating a normal 28 day cycle, which is typically normal for me. However, here I am on day 33 after my post Plan B period and I have no sign of it. No PMS, no spotting, nothing. I have two negative pregnancy tests that were taken on days 30 and 31 using First Response. At this point, I'd be considered 8 weeks pregnant and that should show up on a urine test. I have no symptoms of pregnancy either aside from a missed 2nd period. I'm really frustrated. That time was really dark for me and the amount of anxiety I experienced was so beyond unhealthy. I am really trying not to worry myself too much at this point, as it is still highly unlikely that I am pregnant. Last night I began experiencing sore breasts. Nothing too insane, but just slightly tender and heavier feeling. I noticed my cervical fluids were thick and white/cloudy in color. I think that is normal, as I have noticed it before. I just want to know if anyone else has had an experience similar to this one. Normal period after Plan B One-Step and the next one was late to the party or a no-show?

I just went through a very similar experience. I used plan b as a precaution after an incident almost identical to yours. Better safe than sorry. I experienced some symptoms about 4 days after taking it, but by day 10 I had gotten my period, although it was a week early. Very normal period.

I too was ready to put this awful incident behind me, so I was very nervous when my second cycle was late. I understand that stress can causes delayed ovulation etc.... And I think this is what happened to me. I was supposed to ovulate around July 8, and then I noticed more fertile cervical mucus on the 12. So I did my best not to freak out (read: only took 6 pregnancy tests, lol) and waited. I also would've been 8 weeks, so I knew the test should be accurate. I got negative results. If I count from the first day of my "first" period after plan b, I did not get my 2nd period until 37 days later. Try your best not to freak out, your chances of pregnancy are slim, but I know it's still upsetting. It's very normal to have a long second cycle after taking plan b.

How was your third period after that? I got mine on day 36 for the second period and now approaching my third. Not sure if it will come in a normal time frame or if it will also be a little late. I know it is going to throw me off as I had intercourse once since then. But it was protected this time. No ejacualtion either. I hate that stupid pill.

Thank you for sharing your question with the EmpowHER community.

Some women do experience side effects after taking Plan B One-Step. Menstrual changes top the list of side effects. The menstrual cycle can be delayed or even come early. The flow can be heavier or lighter, or there can be spotting.

I hope this information helps and that some of the other members of the community chime in with their personal experiences.

Be well,