Has anyone found safer alternative than bio-identical hormones for people who have had hysterectomies?

By December 21, 2009 - 4:31pm

I am an older gal who had a complete hysterectomy years ago. On and off through the years I took synthetic hormones. Approximately five or six years ago I started taking a full complement of bio-identical hormones (BIHs) applied as a cream for this condition. Sometime during the past couple of years I started experiencing occasional dizzy spells and this past summer, I started "feeling" that my body was very toxic. I stopped taking the BIHs about three months ago (without contacting Dr. as feel she is very dedicated to this particular type of treatment). But the dizzy spells have ceased and I no longer have that "toxic" feeling. I saw the Internist just last week and am not sure she liked my decision to follow my intuition and quit taking the BIHs on my own. As most of you know, there is quite a bit of negative data regarding BIHs, especially long term, and so I would like to find perhaps another doctor or, at the very least, another type of treatment I could recommend to my current Internist to take as a replacement for these hormones. I believe a number of years ago, Michelle Robson wrote that having had a hysterectomy she had eventually changed from a fuller complement of BIHs to only a couple of hormones and was more satisfied. I live in the Phoenix, East Valley, AZ area and any input regarding names of Drs. OR the hormone situation would be most welcome.

Dear Rory

Thank you so much for your question!

You are right - hormone therapy is recommended for the shortest time possible - you can learn more about this with our short video here : http://www.empowher.com/media/video/video-dr-shokooh-it-safe-use-hrt-long-time

I fully agree with you for following your instincts and stopping medications that were making your feel worse and not better.

I have a question for you - since you are feeling so much better now, do you still feel the need for the hormone replacements? Do you think you can manage without? Can you tell us what your symptoms are now so that we can look into options for you?

In the meantime, read this, I think it may help you : http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/did-you-happen-see-oprahs-show-menopause-and-hrt

and read (and listen to ) Michelle's story here : http://www.empowher.com/community/share/michelle-king-robson-empowhers-founder-ceo-i-want-share-my-story-you

I look forward to an update from you and to helping you further!

Menopause Guide