Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: Has anyone had "her Option" cryo ablation procedure done for heavy bleeding,pms, cramps. I had it done four days ago and my doctor said to expect a watery discharge for about 3 weeks. I have extremely heavy bleeding and severe cramps. Is this normal?

By fmfsd

Anonymous

I had this procedure yesterday and i am feeling better now.
Before going to hospital was very scared thinking abt the procedure
it takes 15 to 20 mins and less painful.
So be bold enough to face it.
After the process take plenty of Potasium rich foods for atleast 6 weeks.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Good for you Anon! 

And thank you for the dietary tips, our readers will find that very helpful! 

Anonymous

I am 4 days post Her Option. The procedure was easy. I am not in pain now, but still need to take mortin for the soreness I feel in my uterus. Haven't returned to my normal exercise yet, but plan to start again tomorrow. Also, my abdomen is swollen/distended, and it's hard to eat very much because of the intense feeling of fullness. I'm guessing that my uterus is swollen, putting pressure on both my stomach and intestines, causing some of the discomfort. Still have the discharge, as expected. What exactly is the discharge? Haven't been able to find any definitive answer other than to expect it. Hoping for good results.

Anonymous

I was a nervous wreck before having this procedure. I was given 2 pills to place vaginally the night prior. I had heard some people get pain like labor cramps but I didn't have any pain at all. The next morning I went to the doctor's office to have something place on my cervix to make it easier for the procedure in the afternoon. There was some cramping after this but not too bad. The worse part was having it placed on my cervix. Not comfortable, yet not as bad as the biopsy I had earlier. I showed up an hour prior to the cryo-ablation and had a shot, and some pain meds. The nurse then told me to drink 3 bottles of water so my bladder would be full. I downed the water and on schedule I had the procedure. I would rate it as very uncomfortable 6/10 on the pain scale. I didn't cry but would not want to go through it again anytime soon. There was an issue with getting to the second side due to an ice ball that had formed that the doctor had to try to shrink it several times until the probe would reach the second side.
Getting to go to the restroom was sweet relief! That was the most painful part of the procedure, pushing on my full bladder while being poked from the inside at the same time. On the car ride home I get sick to my stomach and had to reach for a shopping bag. The rest of the ride I stuck my head out the window like a dog and hoped for a quick death. Okay, maybe it wasn't that bad but I have not thrown up for over 20 years so it wasn't good. Once home the cramps from hell started and I was popping major pain meds to get through the night. Used a heating pad but found little relief until I woke up. Night one down, up several times to use the restroom, change my pad and felt like throwing up for hours. The second day was crampy and leaky, glad I didn't go to work. Had to change my pinkish stained pad about every hour. I teach school and use of a restroom is not something I have throughout the day. Walking around would have been a problem as well. I did take a 3 hour nap and continued the pain meds. Night 2 was much better. I only got up about 4 times so that was a major improvement. Called the doctor on day 3 due to needing more time off from work. I have the days and the leaking was not slowing down. Didn't feel crampy, leaking and crabby was a good combination for my students. All in all I took 4 days off. One day was for the procedure and the other three were to finish out the week. I will be back at work ready or not on Monday. Still having slight cramps, major leaking and overall tiredness. Not sure how it will turn out, but my fear of the pain of this procedure was just in my head. I would give it a try if you are considering as it was worse in my head then in real life. Good Luck!

Anonymous

OK after 3 months of bleeding, hemorrhaging and absolute misery I just scheduled my hysterectomy. The Cryoablasion did not work for me. However, I am only 10% of the population ladies. My doctor was very surprised to hear my tale. It is worth a shot for those who only have this or hysterectomy as an option. Best to you all. I will let you know how the hysterectomy goes!

Anonymous

I had my cryoablastion done on the 9th of April. I was only given one vicadin for pain to take an hour prior to my appointment which was at 2..finally it is 3 and I off into the room. During the beginning I felt a lot of discomfort 5 on a ten scale, but this only lasted for the first 2 min. It did help once it got really cold. My right side was frozen first. When the doctor moved the probe to my left side I experienced pain on say a 4. As this continued,,, by the time it was about over I just wanted everything to be over..the pain worsened for me. Keep in mind I have a tilted uterus! After it was done I just wanted to sit up. The pain was agonizing. Again I think I went through with this with little 2 no pain meds except the 3mg vicadin pill 2 hours prior..My pain was on an 10 scale..10..Again this pain persisted for about 2 hours. Finally I was able to handle getting 800mg ibuprohen in my system and used a large heating pad. I seriously think it was my tilted uterus..I stayed home the next day, then returned to work as usual. Just have been experiencing the same clear discharge...some with a tint of pink near my normal cycle, which began on the 16th of April. It is still to early for me to report the outcome. But be rest assured, I will NEVER ask to get that done again without additional pain meds!

Thank you for this update on your procedure, Anon.

I am sorry you are in so much pain, I do hope this subsides for you soon.

Anonymous

I had the procedure this past Thursday (Jan 16th 2014). I had pain the day of and the day after with watery discharge as expected. Now it's Tuesday (day 5) and I woke up bleeding with pain. I have a very strange sensation in my abdomen and I am beyond exhausted. We are having a snow storm so I can't get to the doctor (love New York) and I am getting very worried. Has anyone experienced this??

Anonymous

I would just like to say that I was terrified after reading all of these horror stories so I thought it would be nice for there to be some good experiences added in here. First let me say of course everyone is different in their pain tolerance and experiences so I feel bad for those women who had a bad experience with this procedure. As a background I have had 2 C-sections, a tubal ligation, and a D&C in the past. My periods generally do not come with cramping they are just extremely heavy (clotting etc) and last for 7 days. It leaves me feeling exhausted and quite combative the week prior as my PMS is pretty rough too. My cycle is every 21 days so just when I get settled out of my period I have about a week and bam here comes the PMS, exhaustion, anxiety the week before a heavy period. I did not want to do a hysterectomy because I was not interested in early menopause so this was the choice I made. Can't hurt to try it I figured. It was a bit of a headache to have to go through the testing, the histosonogram, the scheduling the procedure around my cycle etc. I had to take the progesterone 200mg at bedtime starting on my 3rd day of my period. The night prior to the procedure I had to insert the Crytotec 200mg vaginally. I was terrified of that but I did it right at bedtime took 3 Advil and slept fine no cramping at all. I did have a little diarrhea the next morning which is a side effect of the drug. I had to drink 32 oz. of water one hour before procedure and took a 5mg Valium. At the office I received a shot of Toradol (SP?). The procedure itself was fine. Dr. did a few shots of lidocaine to numb the cervix a little burning and pinchy but tolerable. A little pressure with the wand for the first side and I could feel the coldness making me uncomfortable but this lasted 6 minutes and by the time we were close to the last minute it was not bad at all. It hurt a little when he took the wand out. They have to wait a minute or two for the freezing to back off before they can take out the wand. When Dr. inserted the wand to do the other side for 6 minutes I hardly felt any pressure or discomfort at all. After the procedure I laid in a room to await the cramping. I was told about 15 minutes after the procedure the cramps would start as the freezing wears off. My pain level never got to be over a 4 out of 10 so I took 2 advil and another 5mg Valium which my Dr. told me I could take instead of pain pill because it does help relax the muscle contractions of the uterus. I am not a fan of pain pills they usually make me nauseated. I was pretty crampy for the rest of the day (had the procedure done at 230pm), but after the first 2 hours or so the pain was more at a 2/10 so very tolerable. I took 3 Advil at bedtime. The next morning no pain at all just felt a little worn out but by mid morning I was running errands and feeling good. I did bleed the day of the procedure and brownish blood the next day. Yesterday and today I have had very little watery discharge just in need of a pantyliner. Not bad at all. The waiting for results part is where I am now they say to give it a few periods for everything to even out so I am hoping for good results, just a lighter period would be fantastic for me. If the results are epic I will be thrilled to tears because relatively speaking the procedure and aftermath were a cake walk. Trust your provider to know if this is a good procedure for you, and if you have a good OBGYN your experience should be relatively easy. There are always things that can happen (puncturing the uterus, infection, tilted uterus make it a hard procedure) that are extremely rare and through all the preliminary testing should be ruled out. Sorry to write a novel I am just very pleased with my experience and am hoping for a favorable outcome as well.

Thanks for your post, Anon, and we don't mind novels!

These reviews are great for our readers and we really appreciate you taking the time to talk about your experience!

How do you control your PMS?: