Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: Has anyone had "her Option" cryo ablation procedure done for heavy bleeding,pms, cramps. I had it done four days ago and my doctor said to expect a watery discharge for about 3 weeks. I have extremely heavy bleeding and severe cramps. Is this normal?

By fmfsd

Bad Experience

No, it's not normal. Go to the emergency room. When I had mine done 3 years ago, the same thing happened. However, I was in such bad pain with cramps the night after the procedure, my husband rushed me to the hospital. At the hospital, they did a CT scan and found that my uterus was punctured and a portion of my small intestine was frozen. They admitted me to the hospital and the following day I went syptic. I had to have that portion of the intestine removed. I have never been the same since.

Anonymous

I had my cryoablation Monday after work. The only prep my doctor tod me was 2 Motrin 2 hours before and 2 Tylenol one hour prior. I wasn't given any other meds or instructions. Also was due to get my period later this week. Was told I have a high pain tolerance during endometrial biopsy week prior. I was given a shot for pain pinching and burning which I think was worse than actual cryoablation. Yes I did feel cramping but deep breathing and talking to RN helped. Needed more Motrin right after and the heated seats in my car felt wonderful. Wasn't nauseous actually ate toast w butter and tea an hour after
I did keep taking Motrin and Tylenol. Bled that night like a period w period cramps. Next morning woke up w clear discharge which I still have now as of Wednesday evening. Need to wear a pad and change like 3-4 times daily. Panty liner not enough. Also given a pill to take for 10 days deprovera ? I think. Hope to report in a month or 2 good results also still tired on day 2 similar to how I feel during period

Unfortunately you can bleed heavy for up to three months following the ablation. I bled for a month straight with alternating clear discharge. The cramps were awful too. Don't panic unless you are going through a pad an hour (bleeding), then you need to see a doctor. I will pray that this procedure worked for you and I wish you the best! Hang in there!

Anonymous

I had this procedure yesterday and i am feeling better now.
Before going to hospital was very scared thinking abt the procedure
it takes 15 to 20 mins and less painful.
So be bold enough to face it.
After the process take plenty of Potasium rich foods for atleast 6 weeks.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Good for you Anon! 

And thank you for the dietary tips, our readers will find that very helpful! 

Anonymous

I am 4 days post Her Option. The procedure was easy. I am not in pain now, but still need to take mortin for the soreness I feel in my uterus. Haven't returned to my normal exercise yet, but plan to start again tomorrow. Also, my abdomen is swollen/distended, and it's hard to eat very much because of the intense feeling of fullness. I'm guessing that my uterus is swollen, putting pressure on both my stomach and intestines, causing some of the discomfort. Still have the discharge, as expected. What exactly is the discharge? Haven't been able to find any definitive answer other than to expect it. Hoping for good results.

Anonymous

I was a nervous wreck before having this procedure. I was given 2 pills to place vaginally the night prior. I had heard some people get pain like labor cramps but I didn't have any pain at all. The next morning I went to the doctor's office to have something place on my cervix to make it easier for the procedure in the afternoon. There was some cramping after this but not too bad. The worse part was having it placed on my cervix. Not comfortable, yet not as bad as the biopsy I had earlier. I showed up an hour prior to the cryo-ablation and had a shot, and some pain meds. The nurse then told me to drink 3 bottles of water so my bladder would be full. I downed the water and on schedule I had the procedure. I would rate it as very uncomfortable 6/10 on the pain scale. I didn't cry but would not want to go through it again anytime soon. There was an issue with getting to the second side due to an ice ball that had formed that the doctor had to try to shrink it several times until the probe would reach the second side.
Getting to go to the restroom was sweet relief! That was the most painful part of the procedure, pushing on my full bladder while being poked from the inside at the same time. On the car ride home I get sick to my stomach and had to reach for a shopping bag. The rest of the ride I stuck my head out the window like a dog and hoped for a quick death. Okay, maybe it wasn't that bad but I have not thrown up for over 20 years so it wasn't good. Once home the cramps from hell started and I was popping major pain meds to get through the night. Used a heating pad but found little relief until I woke up. Night one down, up several times to use the restroom, change my pad and felt like throwing up for hours. The second day was crampy and leaky, glad I didn't go to work. Had to change my pinkish stained pad about every hour. I teach school and use of a restroom is not something I have throughout the day. Walking around would have been a problem as well. I did take a 3 hour nap and continued the pain meds. Night 2 was much better. I only got up about 4 times so that was a major improvement. Called the doctor on day 3 due to needing more time off from work. I have the days and the leaking was not slowing down. Didn't feel crampy, leaking and crabby was a good combination for my students. All in all I took 4 days off. One day was for the procedure and the other three were to finish out the week. I will be back at work ready or not on Monday. Still having slight cramps, major leaking and overall tiredness. Not sure how it will turn out, but my fear of the pain of this procedure was just in my head. I would give it a try if you are considering as it was worse in my head then in real life. Good Luck!

Anonymous

OK after 3 months of bleeding, hemorrhaging and absolute misery I just scheduled my hysterectomy. The Cryoablasion did not work for me. However, I am only 10% of the population ladies. My doctor was very surprised to hear my tale. It is worth a shot for those who only have this or hysterectomy as an option. Best to you all. I will let you know how the hysterectomy goes!

Anonymous

I had my cryoablastion done on the 9th of April. I was only given one vicadin for pain to take an hour prior to my appointment which was at 2..finally it is 3 and I off into the room. During the beginning I felt a lot of discomfort 5 on a ten scale, but this only lasted for the first 2 min. It did help once it got really cold. My right side was frozen first. When the doctor moved the probe to my left side I experienced pain on say a 4. As this continued,,, by the time it was about over I just wanted everything to be over..the pain worsened for me. Keep in mind I have a tilted uterus! After it was done I just wanted to sit up. The pain was agonizing. Again I think I went through with this with little 2 no pain meds except the 3mg vicadin pill 2 hours prior..My pain was on an 10 scale..10..Again this pain persisted for about 2 hours. Finally I was able to handle getting 800mg ibuprohen in my system and used a large heating pad. I seriously think it was my tilted uterus..I stayed home the next day, then returned to work as usual. Just have been experiencing the same clear discharge...some with a tint of pink near my normal cycle, which began on the 16th of April. It is still to early for me to report the outcome. But be rest assured, I will NEVER ask to get that done again without additional pain meds!

Thank you for this update on your procedure, Anon.

I am sorry you are in so much pain, I do hope this subsides for you soon.

How do you control your PMS?: